Best Browser for the Tab 10.1?Support

1. artbytes

artbytes Well-Known Member

Do any of you have a favorite browser for use on the Galaxy Tab 10.1? I really like using Dolphin HD on my Infuse. However, it doesn't seem to work as well on the Tab. I was wondering if anyone has found others that they really like.

Advertisement
  2. mitchmoney1

mitchmoney1 Well-Known Member

The only browser I seem to like the most is the stock.. Other browsers for me add unnecessary features that I don't really want
  3. mitchmoney1

mitchmoney1 Well-Known Member

You can try using the opera tablet optimized app
  4. rm2092

rm2092 Well-Known Member

Opera works really nice and I like the folders list for favorites.
  5. scottie24

scottie24 Active Member

Does Opera let you load pages as a desktop or are you stuck with mobile webpage versions? This is the only reason I use an alternate browser as since the TW update the about:debug settings change is not kept after rebooting.
  6. KenG10

KenG10 Well-Known Member

I tried dolphin beta for tablets for a while, but found myself going back to stock. I love the book marks scrolling widget and how it ties in to the stock browsers bookmarks getting thumbnails, etc. Plus, I really like those quick controls on the left and right.
  7. JPG619

JPG619 Active Member

I use the dolphin one too, but I do use the stock one too, some sites run better on stock.
  8. jimst

jimst New Member

There is a trick to make the about:debug work. After selecting the ua string you must use the back arrow in the bottom left corner of the tablet and then immediately reenter about:debug and navigate there. Now your ua string will stay after a reboot.
  9. kmoore11

kmoore11 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing as well. The stock browser would be perfect if there were an easy way to switch to desktop mode. That's why I'm primarily using Dolphin, but it has crashes and other issues.
  10. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

There is a way to switch to desktop mode. Check xda.
  11. LandLockedPH

LandLockedPH Well-Known Member

The new Dolphin 7 seems excellent so far. But you can only get it from GetJar.
  12. KenG10

KenG10 Well-Known Member

I really want to try Dolphin 7, but man, I dont know if I can stray away from the stock browser. I have gotten so accustomed to using the pop-out side shortcut circle its not even funny. Plus the integration with the Bookmarks widget is a huge plus.
  13. LandLockedPH

LandLockedPH Well-Known Member

I just really wish the sync with the desktop bookmarks still worked. I'd be happy with the stock browser if if did.
  14. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Actually that doesn't work with the newer firmware with TouchWiz or at least my version. I've tried saving the setting and it will only stick until the tablet is rebooted.

I tried going in and back out, and it shows Desktop but when the browser is force closed via the Task Manager, it reverts back to default. Oddly enough when you go back into the debug settings after closing the browser or a reboot, the default will show Desktop still but it won't load pages properly.

Now I found something that sort of works. If you go into the debug settings and change to Desktop and back out, then enter the about:debug string again, it turns off the debug settings, but it keeps the Desktop setting, even if you force close the browser window.

This works until a reboot and then you have to go into debug settings again. This isn't perfect but it works between reboots. And since I don't reboot or turn off the tablet unless necessary, this works well enough for me. There are many sites that force you to go to a mobile site without an option to view the full site, and the mobile sites often lack a lot of info or options. I've found this on some newspaper and other information sites.

I'd like to see Samsung put the browser agent string setting back into the browser properly as the default Honeycomb browser has it as an option. But for now I'm happy with this as a work around.
    :D
  15. hdog007

hdog007 Member

I prefer Firefox. The earlier version I tried this summer sucked, but the current version is nice, and it integrates with my development PC bookmarks and history so that is quite nice. I've still yet to find a single browser that can do 100% of the things I want to do. Most can handle 95% or so, but that other 5% is a pain.
  16. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Uh oh...I take that back. If the tablet is left idle with the screen off for a while it forgets the desktop setting even though going into the debug settings shows it set at Desktop still. However if you leave the browser open in the background it seems to remember the setting until the browser is closed and left idle. It's not a great solution but it's better than nothing.