Best BrowserSupport

Last Updated:

1. akenis

akenis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Who's using a browser other than stock? Pro's and cons?

Stock: Can't open an important https:// site. No bookmark sync? Gonna suck when I have to hard reset!

Opera Mini: Loved it on Winmob. Sync bookmarks and fast. Wouldn't run on my moment.

Dolphin: Saw a suggestion on another thread. What do you think?

Advertisement
  2. Kabuto

Kabuto New Member

I find that the stock browser is the best one so far. Maybe when FireFox comes out for Android it will change things.

Does anyone know why Opera Mini doesn't work on the Moment?

3. newell79

newell79 Member

Dolphin is by far the best mobile browser i have seen!

4. T120ted

T120ted Member

I hadn't used it but after this comment I had to try. After a hour or so playing with it I'm really diggin it. Like it better than the stock and seems faster too. I also like how you can customize your ouwn gestures. Very nice indeed. Thanks.

5. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

I heard steel was decent from my sister. She uses it to get files saved to the sd card I think she said.

6. Weeton

Weeton Active Member

i've been using steel...its decent i guess. i notice that depending on the webpage, i can't browse past a few pages.

7. securageek

securageek Member

Wow, Opera Mini isn't working on the Moment??? I wonder why? I'm getting the Moment this in a couple of weeks and was hoping in installing Opera Mini as one of my first app downloads for the phone, but if you say it isn't working, then maybe I'll try the Dolphin since others are giving such good reviews on it.

8. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

+1

9. latinmaxima

Downloaded dolphin today. I must say it is very nice and I like the functionality of it. The stock browser was nice but Dolphin edges past it easily.

10. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Well, guess I'll have to give it a shot as well. We'll see if it gets the Hawaiian shaka or not...

11. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

do any of the browser choices offer auto-filled passwords? Probably going to get a Moment in the next month... go to a lot of password-protected sites usually, so that's sort of important for me. Still on the Android-Hero fence...

12. latinmaxima

The stock browser asks to remember my passwords and lets you decide. I haven't paid attention with Dolphin. Something to try when i get out of work tonight.

13. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Uninstalled Dolphin. Didn't think it was really any better than the native browser. I didn't notice any speed difference and to me, that is what it is about.

Opera mini has always been the best in that category. I sure hope they get it working on this phone. Until then, this is the fastest non opera mini hone I have ever used.....faster than the Hero for sure....stock for stock....although Opera mini did work on the Hero and then it was no contest.

14. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

The last update was June. Before the Moment, Hero, Droid, Eris and a host of other Android phones that Mini doesn't work with came out. It appears that Android isn't high on Opera's priority list, maybe because unlike WM and BB, the default Android browser works very well. Dolphin improves on the default browser experience in ways that Opera doesn't attempt.

15. Ouija

Ouija Member

Suppose I'll have to wait for Fennec

16. securageek

securageek Member

Oh man, that will be great to use one of Mozilla's browser on a mobile phone like the Moment. But aren't some phones out there already using Fennec?? But not for the Android OS yet, huh? Crap......someday......

17. ddanny82

ddanny82 Active Member

dolphin is amazing!! the only thing it is missing is speed, gestures are a stroke of genius.

18. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

I don't believe Fennec is on any devices as of yet, though I may be wrong.

19. pastafarian

The only release of Fennec that I've ever seen is a barely functional alpha for WM. Development has been slow by all indication, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. Fortuately the default browser and dolphin are vastly superior to any of the 6 or so browsers I used to have on my TP.

20. Andronix

Andronix Well-Known Member

Opera mini works on Samsung Galaxy from the first day, even 5beta mini works with j2me, but with few quirks.

21. pastafarian

Probably due to its older qualcomm chip design. What I won't accept is another browser running in a java virtual machine like the way Mini worked with WM. Mini worked well and was faster than the poorly designed native browsers, but had no connection to the rest of the phone without some convoluted hack like jzsmartmort. Going forward, I want one browser that opens when I click on a link in any other program. Not one browser for speed, one for java, one for flash content, one for social networks...etc.

22. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I can't get the gestures to work for "select text"...it keeps forwarding instead. Otherwise, this is a ridiculously intelligent browser. Also, the zoom function is annoying and not being able to do a quick scroll like the default browser makes it difficult on long pages. The safari browser on the iphone is still my favorite usability wise.

Edit: nevermind I figured out the zoom feature

23. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

idk if it was mentioned, just found a neat quirk on my eris

dolphin browser

a long press on the <-- back button on the bottom of my screen gives a menu to

exit (really closes it, ends task)
    exit and clear cache
    cancel

just a morsel of info :D

24. akenis

akenis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

K...I give up. Where's the back button on Dolphin browser?

25. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

i usually gesture and do a reverse L...