Best buy atrix update

1. OK so here is the skinny. Just got off the phone with my friend at best buy. He said the phone was originally supposed to launch on the 15 but that got pushed back he said the latest date is February 5. He also said this February 5 date would mean that the phone would launch on January 31st in stores because Feb 5 is an in stock day which means they will have it in stock def by that date. He also stated the Motorola rep said it was pushed because of the apple anouncement. He said the 15 as a launch would have gotten lost in all the hype because of 1/11/11. So therefore as of now it looks like a last week of January launch

Advertisement
    Komodo Rogue likes this.
  2. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Did he say when pre-orders would be available?

3. He said until a firm release date which he should know in a week or so there won't be any preorder date
  4. roadkizzle

roadkizzle Well-Known Member

Well, somewhat good news. I'd much prefer the January 15th release date as my upgrade day is the 16th, but this isn't too bad.

Now, the only piece of the puzzle that will determine which phone I get is to find out the price of the Atrix. The question will be upgrade immediately with a $0-50 Bravo, or hold out three more weeks and probably spend $200-300 on the Atrix.

5. Well between those two Atrix all the way
  6. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Well-Known Member

Does Best Buy handle contract upgrades well? I have some gift cards from Christmas I'd like to use to get the phone but I also don't want to lose my unlimited data.

7. Yea best buy does well and you can def use your gift cards
  8. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Well-Known Member

Awesome looks like I won't have to come out of pocket like I was expecting. If your friend gets a chance to get his hands on one get him to find out if sideloading is blocked.
  9. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

That does seem to fall in line with (today's) rumors about the iphone actually hitting verizon at the end of January. We'll all know about that rumor tomorrow though.

Right now it feels like the Atrix is riding high on the hype from lots of major news outlets, it seems almost a shame to let some of that cool just to ride out an iphone announcement, especially since most editorial sources agree that this iphone will be just like the iphone 4.

On a separate note, does anyone know if 3rd party retailers stock phones at the same time that AT&T does? Or does it sometimes take a week or two to reach them? I honestly have very little experience buying phones from anywhere other than carrier stores or online.

10. They stock at the same time just not as many units as att does
  11. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

That depends. Sometimes Best Buy drops phones first, other times they are available for pre-order thru AT&T long before other retailers.

12. Usually best buy drops them first only online
  13. roadkizzle

roadkizzle Well-Known Member

That is probably true, but right now I don't have a very large salary, entry level job at a lower paying company (benefits are great but they still rack up extra costs at the same time), and a wife who is just a Special Education TA at an elementary school means that the $0-50 is very tempting, but so is the Atrix. In addition, I know that the Atrix will easily be able to show off the capabilities of Android extremely well in order to show off to my entire family the reasons why I wanted to switch from my crappy iPhone 3G, and didn't want to go to the iPhone 4.

I am only looking at the Motorola phones currently because I don't like the feel of the Samsungs, and I hate how the Infuse is a very slightly improved Evo/Desire HD. I also dislike the size and shape of the phone icon on Sense and prefer the Motoblur phone and contact buttons even though they are less classy looking.

Every Motorola phone I've had or seen (My dad worked for Motorola since the late 70's so I watched the evolution of the cellphone through his) has been great, and the old hand-me-down StarTAC and Razr phones that I had before my iPhone were amazing and in my opinion much better phones than the Apple ones.

The Bravo is a great, very under-appreciated phone. It has the power to rival most current high-end phones even though it only has the 800 mhz processor (if you trust the benchmarking scores, which I'm unsure about). I love how it has the 1530 mAh battery (I hate HTC phones battery life, and is a reason why I loathe my iPhone 3G).
  14. It isn't a bad phone I was just saying in comparison
  15. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

I have a Bravo I am using in the meantime - nothing wrong with it at all. Just wish it had Android 2.2.
  16. att reps are still stating a pre release date as March the first launch for the atrix and inspire. That means this was what was known prior to release. They haven't had any updates as of yet
  17. ScuroRaven

ScuroRaven Well-Known Member

Any idea to full price, not upgrade?

18. No but imwe are speculating 699
  19. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

I seriously hope not, Motorola said that the pricing would be "competitive" so I am guessing around $550, to keep from pricing it beyond the market (power user market). They are not in a bubble and have seen the response to the Nexus line pricing and won't go far beyond that...
  20. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

Hmm I wonder if Amazon will get in on this. Thx for the info Andrea.

21. Yes well comparable to the nexus the atrix is worth it

22. No problem. I was hoping that someone else with a connect at either radioshack or amazon or wirefly would chime in so we could maybe do some triangulation.
  23. s.m.knipe

I agree, but from a marketing standpoint it would be foolish to do so, they see how low nexus sales are, even with a subsidized pricepoint..
    And also thanks for the info and good posts

24. I'm gonna also point out nexus sales no good because no advertising no att 3G people aren't that into T-Mobile
  25. s.m.knipe

The N1 had an ATT 3G version available, and both Nexii have free online adverts through Google, in fact I am starting at one right now. The NS even had Best Buy to market it and is still slipping... Although to be fair the nexus line is not there to sell well, they are there to push the market...