Best buy black tie insurance worth it?

Last Updated:

1. acandia007

acandia007 Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the best buy insurance plan last weekend because my phone fell n it got chips on it >.>.
    but than decided if i get a full body screen protector plus a case(case on the way from ebay =D) i dont think ill be needing the best buy one.
    because it is 10$ a month... do you guys think its worth it.
    btw is the zagg full max worth it because i am getting it for 12 dollars..
    and by any chance since i got it like three days ago can i cancel it and get my 10 bucks back?

Advertisement
  2. baji

baji Well-Known Member

I used to work for Geek Squad, and I was there when we rolled out the Black Tie Protection plans. They are not worth it in my opinion. On a laptop, yes, I can see the merits of the accidental damage coverages. But, the plans are incredibly over priced. You can get insurance through ATT, I believe it is $5 a month.

Sizzlemoonsong likes this.
  3. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

I specifically bought my phone from BestBuy for the insurance plan. Normally I would say that an insurance plan isn't worth it, but I think it depends on personal circumstances. Also, anything short of an Otterbox Defender isn't really going to protect your phone from damage other than minor scratches. I am plugging Otterbox here because I once dropped my 3GS from 15 feet up onto a concrete floor and it protected it without any damage.

The reasons I bought the plan were this. I didn't want a bulky case so I bought a body glove (though considering a full zagg cover instead). BestBuy's warranty has no limit on the number of claims and has a ZERO deductible, if there were a deductible I wouldn't have gotten it.

I think the most important thing is to ask yourself how often you have dropped your prior phones and from what heights, etc. In my line of work I am rough on phones, so the warranty is worth it, if you are not, then it probably isn't.

EDIT: AT&T does usually offer cheaper insurance, but you usually end up having a high deductible and I do not think it covers as many things as the BestBuy warranty (though I am not 100% on that). My theory is, I am only keeping the phone for a year before I upgrade, so why not make sure that I can sell the phone when that year is up. I should at least get back the $120 I spent on the plan if nothing else (not like we are getting robbed with the $15 a month iphone plan BestBuy has).

Sizzlemoonsong and Ezduzit08 like this.
  4. acandia007

acandia007 Member This Topic's Starter

yeah i looked that up but for att there is a deductible which is 125 bucks =/
    n best buy doesnt have any.
    but best buy sucks with their service

5. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

If you, like me, constantly spill things down the front of you, having insurance on your black tie is definitely worth it.

6. Respen

Respen Active Member

If I had known about best buy's $10 insurance I would have gotten my phone there instead of AT&T, I hate going without insurance but 125 bucks for a deductible is ridiculous.

7. dragonfire6

dragonfire6 Member

AT&T insurance covers lost & stolen phones and that sold me...

8. chaso

chaso Member

get the black tie insurance.

i destroyed my backflip and it was declared a junk out thereby giving me a $500 (the value of the backflip) store credit towards the outright purchase of a brand new phone. here i am, a week later, having only paid $100 out of pocket for my captivate (new $549.99 +tax).

do it do it. well worth the $10. you get up to 2 replacements per year and they service your phone if you mess it up.

9. baji

baji Well-Known Member

Unless things have changed in the time since I left Geek Squad, you get one replacement. After you replace the insured item your policy is considered fulfilled.

As for service, what that really means is, the in-store agents mail your phone out to a warehouse where they perform the service, and then mail it back. 2-3 week turn around time.

10. chaso

chaso Member

Pretty sure it's 2 now since the pamphlet states it. Regardless its worth every penny in my eyes.

11. DaMajorPayne

DaMajorPayne Active Member

Should i pay 170bux for a 2 year warranty from BestBuy on my $230 no contract captivate?

And if you get a replacement phone is it one of your choosing for the same price or do they give another captivate?

12. Sizzlemoonsong

Sizzlemoonsong New Member

I do recall the best by guy who activated my phone saying their earrenty covers water damage where the sprint does not for the same cost.... and i got my photon for 100the buck less than sprint cbarged me...that is why i returned the phone to sprint store tbey refused to match price...