• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy vs Verizon Store?

rdalcanto

Android Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2009
I am 13 months into my 2 year contract. I called Verizon, and they said I'm eligible for an upgrade, where I can get a new phone at the new contract price by signing a new one year or two year contract. I called Best Buy and asked them the same question, and when they looked up my account, they said I can't upgrade until September. Was the Best Buy associate wrong, or is there just a difference between getting a phone directly through Verizon vs getting it at Best Buy? :thinking:

I am 13 months into my 2 year contract. I called Verizon, and they said I'm eligible for an upgrade, where I can get a new phone at the new contract price by signing a new one year or two year contract. I called Best Buy and asked them the same question, and when they looked up my account, they said I can't upgrade until September. Was the Best Buy associate wrong, or is there just a difference between getting a phone directly through Verizon vs getting it at Best Buy? :thinking:

I believe the annual upgrade option on a 2 year contract is only available directly through Verizon, and only on a primary line. Any third party retailer or premium retailer will not be able to upgrade you until month 20. Also, if you excercise the annual upgrade, you'll be re-upped for another 2 year contract. You can't sign up for a one year contract under this method. You'd have to wait until your 20 months is up to do that. I'm eligible for annual upgrade at the end of April but since Verizon is discontinuing this practice, I will not be utilizing it. Anyone still eligible for the annual upgrade will only have one last opportunity to take advantage, but if you do, you better make good on the upgrade because you'll be locked in for 2 years beyond that (for certain). I'm waiting for my contract to end in December and then it's 1 year contracts from here on out for me.

Upvote 0
No, the Verizon rep on the phone said I could do either a one year or a two year contract when I upgrade my phone.

Are you sure he knows what he's talking about?

What do I have to do to get a new phone with Annual Upgrade?
You must be registered for My Verizon, be on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher and have completed at least 1 year of a 2-year contract and agree to renew for an additional 2 years in order to get a new phone at a promotional price. It’s as easy as that.

Edit: Everything I've ever heard or read confirms the above. If what you're saying is true, that would be huge and I'd definitely take advantage as soon as it's available. Otherwise, it's December for me.

Upvote 0
I called Verizon and asked them about my early upgrade and they told me that I could sign a one year contract when I'm eligible for the annual upgrade in October - they said that even though I would have one year left in my contract, I could still sign a 1 year contract to get my annual upgrade. It didn't seem to make much sense to me, but I wasn't going to argue. The lady I spoke to got the answer from her supervisor and she said she was noting it in my account just in case I had any troubles when I went to use it in October.
This month I plan on getting the Thunderbolt using the alternate upgrade I have on my Galaxy Tab, but since Best Buy doesn't do one year contracts there, I'll have to get it in the store or online. Too bad too, I was hoping to get in on the free promotion of the Buy Back plan they have starting up at Best Buy. Maybe I'll just buy it for full price then....

Upvote 0
I called Verizon and asked them about my early upgrade and they told me that I could sign a one year contract when I'm eligible for the annual upgrade in October - they said that even though I would have one year left in my contract, I could still sign a 1 year contract to get my annual upgrade. It didn't seem to make much sense to me, but I wasn't going to argue. The lady I spoke to got the answer from her supervisor and she said she was noting it in my account just in case I had any troubles when I went to use it in October.
This month I plan on getting the Thunderbolt using the alternate upgrade I have on my Galaxy Tab, but since Best Buy doesn't do one year contracts there, I'll have to get it in the store or online. Too bad too, I was hoping to get in on the free promotion of the Buy Back plan they have starting up at Best Buy. Maybe I'll just buy it for full price then....

they told me that as well (can do a one year contract on the annual upgrade). I agree, wish BB would do one year contracts...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones