• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Calendar App?

What's your favorite calendar app? (Note: multiple choice ok)

• Stock, whatever comes with the phone

Votes: 70 17.4%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Calwidget

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Agenda Widget

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Smooth Calendar

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • QuickCalendarWidget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Pure Grid Calendar

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • S2 Calendar

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Calendar Pad

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • iRT Calendar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocket Informant

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Business Calendar

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Gemini Calendar

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 27 6.7%
  • PimlicalA

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Jorte

Votes: 90 22.3%
  • Touch Calendar

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • Calengoo

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Calendar Snooze

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters
I've gone for a combination of
Calendroid - as main calendar app - like the stock app but with added features and not too busy or small a display with other rated apps seem to suffer with
Quick Calendar widget - easy access to upcoming appointments

I also use the Smooth Calendar widget to display the current day (1x1 size) and as a shortcut to Calendroid.

Upvote 0
I do that in calengoo...works well.

Many calendars (I use Gemini Calendar) support different colors from different Google calendars. But no Android calendars to my knowledge support coloring within a single calendar. The calengoo web page explains that this is because Google has not yet released a programmer interface for this functionality

http://calengoo.dgunia.de/Start.html

Upvote 0
Not sure if this request would be a Calendar app or a Contact app; but I'm looking for the ability to, within the Phone Contacts, to set an appointment for someone who called (or any contact) and have it show up on the Calendar. I'm also using PHONE only; no Google linking.

IE: Look at a Contact and see that there are appointments/times/events for them; displayed also in the calendar.

Is there "something" that does anything like this? I have the Galaxy S2 (white!)

Upvote 0
johnBS.

Quote: [to set an appointment for someone who called (or any contact) and have it show up on the Calendar. I'm also using PHONE only; no Google linking]

DejaOffice does half of your request. From within DejaContacts you can set an appointment, and it inserts the contact info in the appointment. It does not look like it links any info to the contact, but it shows up quite eligently in DejaCalendar. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Many calendars (I use Gemini Calendar) support different colors from different Google calendars. But no Android calendars to my knowledge support coloring within a single calendar. The calengoo web page explains that this is because Google has not yet released a programmer interface for this functionality

http://calengoo.dgunia.de/Start.html
http://www.calengoo.com/docs/pagecalendars/pagecalendars.html
Google’s new “Color Code” function to change colors of single events is not supported yet, because Google released a way to retrieve these colors only a few weeks ago. But it will be added soon.
Anyone know when this might have been written? At least not before May 2011, because that is when the desktop version got the color codes (officially "Color Coded Events").

I'd even take a read-only calendar if I just could get the color codes to show up. My main use are school timetables, so making a new calendar for every course is just messy. I guess next best thing would be to name the calendar by its color, but it still complicates things from the desktop use point of view. :mad:

Upvote 0
The 2.1 Pimlical came out one week too late for me. I bought Calengoo last week when the beta version expired and I don't want to mess around with my calendars anymore.

Just for comparison sake, $6 for calengoo or $5 for pimlical/A is very reasonable. I think I paid about $15 for Datebk5 10 years ago and Datebk6 is still selling for $27 now.

The only thing I would note is that I am glad I had a chance to fully test out Calengoo beta before buying. Currently, you cannot test out Calengoo or Pimlical before buying it. I have suggested to the Calengoo developer to come up with some limited version (eg allow full features but blank out certain days of the week) to give new users a chance to try before buy. Datebk used to allow a 30 day free trial before you had to buy.
Is this still true? New Android user from the Palm world here and I'm trying to decide on a calendar app. I loved my DtBk. I think I have it narrowed down to Pimlical or Calengoo but I need to know if there is any option for a trial version of Calengoo to see if it works for me. I am more than happy to pay--just not until I know it does what I need. I'm not so concerned about testing out Pimlical because I used DtBk for years.

Upvote 0
Is this still true? New Android user from the Palm world here and I'm trying to decide on a calendar app. I loved my DtBk. I think I have it narrowed down to Pimlical or Calengoo but I need to know if there is any option for a trial version of Calengoo to see if it works for me. I am more than happy to pay--just not until I know it does what I need. I'm not so concerned about testing out Pimlical because I used DtBk for years.

As a long time Palm user (1999-2009) I settled on Calengoo (never tried Pimlical for Android though). Calengoo is pretty close to DateBk. It is robust in features so it can take some time setting up.

----
[Palm devices owned: Palm III, Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Treo 90, Fossil Palm watch, Tungsten T, Treo 650]

Reactions: bethany66
Upvote 0
Is there any calendar out there or something on Google calendar I may have missed that will link up a calendar item with a person in my contact list? I've tried using the "participant" box to see if it would work, but I wasn't successful.

Any idea on how I could do this?

Thanks!

Gemini Calendar (free or paid version) lets you associate an address book entry with an appointment via its "add special" menu option. It is not clear to me whether this is what you are asking about.

The paid version of Gemini Calendar also does something which no other android calendar (to my knowledge) can do: it lets you move an appointment to a different Google Calendar.

Reactions: FlyingPigL
Upvote 0
I've had now several times a syncing problem with Jorte:

The events appear in the web GCalendar at correct dates and places, but they do not update to Jorte no matter how many times I try to refresh. Renaming, or moving does not bring them "alive". Hard to say, but this problem seems to occur after moving the events in web-GCalendar. After that, they just keep their original date at Jorte while web-GCalendar shows them correctly.

Doesn't appear to be an issue with Jorte though because stock calendar does the same thing.

Upvote 0
The stock calendar app on my phone it 100% completely perfect. Almost.

The one thing the stock calendar does not do--that I need desperately--is copy (duplicate) an event. It will change an event from one-time to recurring. However, I have some appointments that I make every week, but the time and/or day change almost every week.

After downloading and testing 6 or 7 calendar apps, I decided that Jorte works best for me. I use Jorte ONLY to copy an event. For all of my other calendar needs, I use either the stock app or Google Calendar online.

Upvote 0
I thought it worth mentioning that Pimlical has just introduced new versions with 2 very critical improvements, particularly for Palm refugees that would rather not deal with Google (although it still handles Google calendars).

First, it finally has it's own data base. This means that you can have as much of a time window as you want, including years of calendars, stored locally on your handheld. It also means it is better able to fully utilize all of it's own Calendar features which Google's apis may not be as well suited for.

Second, the desktop for Windows provides direct USB sync with a palm-style conduit that is very fast and very efficient. If you want to mix in Google Calandars as well as local calendars, you can, but if you want just local USB sync directy to your computer, this works like a dream. Companion Link is very good and I've been using it for a year now, but this is the first USB sync I have used with Android that didn't make me cover my eyes until it was over. ;)

It is still only a calendar (will sync floats or tasks if they are on the calendar), but with the Android app having it's own database, I think syncing the other PIMs will come along eventually.

I have just switched back to it from Calengoo and it is lovely on my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.

Just, FYI

Upvote 0
I've been using S2 Calendar for years. It now claims to be compatible with ICS, and it does run under CM9 on my HP TouchPad. However, it does not run on my Samsung Galaxy S III. The app crashes whenever I attempt to change the widget's settings. I'm getting tired of sending reports that are not being acted upon. I've even told the developer that I'll buy the widget if he fixes it, but he still hasn't done anything that I can see.

Does anyone know where I can find a 2x1 monthly calendar widget that will sync with my Google calendar?

I've tried Jorte but find it to be too difficult to use, mostly because it will not change the date color for all day events. At least it won't do this without having to create an entirely new "Jorte" calendar.

My work schedule rotates and it's so much easier to see colored dates on a 2x1 monthly widget than any other method I've tried. I also don't need an agenda view, since I don't make many appointments.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Pimlical does sync with google calendar without the desktop version. Not sure I understand about reminders though - I know you can set those using Calengoo (I handle calendar reminders using Calendar Snooze anyway, so don't know much about the reminders produced by different calendar apps).

Can't comment on voice activation I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones