Best Calendar App?

What's your favorite calendar app? (Note: multiple choice ok)

1. Stock, whatever comes with the phone

70 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Pure Calendar

23 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Calwidget

11 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Agenda Widget

15 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Smooth Calendar

25 vote(s)
    6.2%
  6. QuickCalendarWidget

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pure Calendar

5 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. Pure Grid Calendar

11 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. S2 Calendar

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Calendar Pad

16 vote(s)
    4.0%
  11. iRT Calendar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Pocket Informant

25 vote(s)
    6.2%
  13. Business Calendar

57 vote(s)
    14.1%
  14. Gemini Calendar

12 vote(s)
    3.0%
  15. other

27 vote(s)
    6.7%
  16. PimlicalA

20 vote(s)
    5.0%
  17. Jorte

90 vote(s)
    22.3%
  18. Touch Calendar

24 vote(s)
    6.0%
  19. Calengoo

31 vote(s)
    7.7%
  20. Calendar Snooze

6 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

still not on my market with eris (maybe it does not work with 1.5?)
  2. cre8ivenail

cre8ivenail Active Member

Doesn't matter if is does or doesn't work with 1.5, 1.6, or 2.0 all availabe apps are seen by everyone. I even see apps that are only for rooted phones. Not sure why this app isn't there because the web site is well developed and everything looks legit.
  3. nertzie

nertzie New Member

Hi. Wondering if anyone has had any luck on finding a calendar that lets you set up events to reoccur every other week or every three days, odd re-occurrences such as those ...? HubKap app had a bit of that feature but then it disappeared when they added an end time option. Thanks!
  4. cre8ivenail

Google does that (if you use it or sync your other calendars with it). Just put in event as normal and then edit when it re-occurs (this is when you will be able to customize it to fit you).
  5. nertzie

nertzie New Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes. Online I can do more than I ever imagined with Google calendar.

I just want to be able to use a calendar app on my mobile that allows me to enter and/or edit events to repeat in odd configurations... every 2 wks, every 3 days, every other Wednesday & Thursday... etc.

I can't go online each time to enter/edit an event's schedule.

Thanks!
  6. cre8ivenail

Sorry, there's no such app YET. Hopefully there are some really good developers that are reading this thread as we speak so they can make us all happy (wishful thinking).

As of now we have google.
  7. EdDroid

EdDroid Member

The market only shows me one version in search. The 1.5 version.
    AAGH!

Help.

TY
    ED
  8. cre8ivenail

I'm learning that the Market may show apps only compatible with your specific device. I stumbled upon this info by happenstance.

I'm not sure if this is a new Market feature or if it is device specific. All I do know is that I used to be able to see all the apps offered but since I haven't been shopping for anything in particular in quite awhile, I have not had the chance to notice if I'm still able to see all apps.

Maybe this was implemented to keep people from downloading the wrong app by mistake. We can all tell by some of the reviews left on many apps that there are a lot of idiots in the Market that do not read everything BEFORE they download, LOL!
  9. spidery6

spidery6 New Member

I can live with the barely-acceptable calendar - but the options to acknowledge reminders suck. If there is more than one reminder notification, I can only dismiss or snooze them all, but not an individual one.

I've found that even opening the one I want to dismiss and deleting all of its reminders is not enough to remove the it from the notification list.

And not being able to enter a reminder period of my choice sucks too - 1, 2, 3 and 12 hours & 1, 2 and 7 days are not sufficient (and why did they think that "24 hours" was better terminology than "1 day"?). There are plenty of times I want a reminder of 6 hours, 3 days or 15 minutes.

Are there any apps/widgets that address those two annoyances?
  10. xarophti

xarophti Active Member

One of the main "event setting" features I miss from the old Palm OS is "duplicate event." This let you highlight an event and duplicate it to another date. This worked very well for odd re-occurences (e.g., things that only happened several times a year, but not specifically "Semi-annually", an event you only needed to re-enter once or twice, etc.) I particularly liked it for doctors' appointments. Highlight the current appointment there in the office while you were scheduling the follow-up, duplicate to the new date, change the time if necessary, good to go. Seeing a doctor every 3 or 4 months, this function was brilliant. I would really like to have it again. Any developers listening?

oh, and spidery6, I'm with you. The old Palm OS let you set custom reminder times, too...
  11. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

I'm another PalmOS refugee, and am using a Droid Eris. The poor calendar is my biggest gripe.

In particular, it's awfully difficult to add an event. The best solution that I've found is the "Quick Add" within Pure Calendar. But since the Eris lacks a physical keyboard, even that isn't quick enough for me. A true point-and-click interface would be really nice.

I've described some ideas about how to do this here as user 'Jonathan':
    Common problems Android 'Pure' widgets series (calendar)

I use Pure Calendar and Calendar Pad, but in addition to the problems with adding events, am often frustrated when Calendar Pad drops me into the Eris's calendar interface.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, e.g. a good interface for adding calendar events, which I haven't found yet. Or maybe some nice developer will rescue us.
  12. Smileyguy3000

Smileyguy3000 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity - are these calendar apps "offline"? i.e., Can I use them with data stored on the phone only? i don't want to keep synching with a Google account!
  13. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

If, like me, you would like to see a point-and-click interface to add calendar events (especially useful for keyboardless Android devices like the Eris and Hero), please "lobby" the author at the link above. He says that he'll generally add a new feature if he receives at least 5 requests for it.
  14. badfrog

badfrog Well-Known Member

long press the widget and remove it.
  15. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

Just tried Jorte, I've tried all the rest like most of you. Jorte has good looks and the UI is decent, but I can't seem to be able to edit dates and things from the mobile phone? It's always something...I swear I'll be using the web version of google calendar forever but I don't want to! I want to be able to basically have an online and offline calendar that will stay in sync like the iphone. Annoying.
  16. powell

powell Well-Known Member

Hello!
    I suggest you to try my Gemini Calendar, it lets you to create events with recurring intervals as you need and it gives you some other interesting features.
    There is no widget yet, but we are working on it.

Here is the link where I present Gemini Calendar: http://androidforums.com/applicatio...ini-calendar-my-vision-calendar-software.html
    IgnatiusTheKing, jazzcica and Kobal like this.
  17. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt Well-Known Member

Actually no you are wrong about this. With us droid users some people could see Live Wallpapers on the market and some couldn't. The ones that couldn't see them did not update to 2.1 yet. The people who could see them updated to 2.1

Also the same thing with Google Earth. 2.1 users could see it on the market and 2.0.1 users couldn't.

Both Live Wallpapers and Google Earth are 2.1 OS exclusive so those that don't have 2.1 can't see them on the market.
  18. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Very nice calendar app even though it is only in beta. It is appreciated that you are an active developer. We are fortunate to have some very active developers on this site. Keep up the great effort.
  19. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Well-Known Member

One thing that is driving me nuts with the calendar app is the notifications. I'm a BB user.. I need that notification popup and it doesnt exist on the android yet. :(`
    Kattrinakitten likes this.
  20. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Well-Known Member

This is nice..

Any way you could build in pop-up notifications/reminders that give a snooze/dismiss options? Similar to blackberry OS..
  21. Deathwish238

Deathwish238 Well-Known Member

I believe Google is updating the Calendar in Fro-Yo

I personally like CalWidget. It's nice to be able to tweak all the colors and transparency. Could be prettier, but with a pretty transparent background it looks quite good.
  22. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

There are two quick add-event-to-cal apps in the Market:
    -- Calendar Add Event (paid)
    -- One Click Add Event (free)
    Free one was just introduced a few weeks ago. I've used the paid app since September, first on a MyTouch and now my Droid. Works as advertised. They both look pretty much the same to me, both in appearance and operation. Try the freebie first. If there are problems, then the paid app.
  23. powell

powell Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I could do that, but that is not recommended by the Android designers. Here is the quotation from Activity and Task Design Guidelines | Android Developers

If your background service needs to notify a user, use the standard notification system
  24. secretmethod70

secretmethod70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good reason to get them to implement a snooze option for notifications in general.