best camera app

Last Updated:

1. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

there are several camera apps because the default is not the greatest.

However after playing with a couple of others I still go back to the HTC app because when all is said and done it allows me to easily vary white brightness and seems to take best pictures (as long as everything remains still).

I've also used camera magic - don't like this much, just not happy with ease of use

FxCamera - I like this and do use the normal mode for this as the exposure time is much quicker. If I could have a short cut for this camera on my home screen I would. It just takes too long to open the app, when you want to catch a moment.

Advertisement
  2. pspbricker

pspbricker Well-Known Member

The camera on the Hero is atrocious. The shutter lag is the same as a six year old Nokia with one of the earliest phone cameras. Hope it is improved in future models, because as it stands, I find it near unusable.

3. rob200375

rob200375 Active Member

camera zoom fx is okay and has good fun options, for picture changing

4. mjcritchie

mjcritchie Well-Known Member

'Vignette' is a nice little camera app. I don't think it takes pics at as high a resolution as the default app, but you can apply all kinds of filters, effects and frames. Nothing you couldn't do yourself in Photoshop of course, but it's still pretty nice.

It's not free though.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Used to say camera zoom fx, however I've found the default works really well using the settings I posted In my guide

6. kac

kac Well-Known Member

Agree that Camera Zoom FX is a good alternative. Can't find it in the Market since I did the recent Orange Rom upgrade though...

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

you can buy it direct from them:

Camera ZOOM FX | androidslide

If you already have bought it, but cant install due to the update, email them, with proof of your purchase id and I'm certain they will give you the apk.

8. kac

kac Well-Known Member

Cheers, good advice. I bought it pre-update and had planned to wait until after 2.1 to see if I could get it then. If not, I'll chase it up. I'm not too desperate for it at the moment - It's not like it makes a huge amount of difference either way.

9. Fatboymart

Fatboymart Member

10. peterb23

peterb23 Well-Known Member

I bought camera zoom fx but find the time it takes to load a pain and have gone back to the default. As long as you are aware of the limitations - ie. needs a lot of light and has a shutter speed not seen since the box brownie - it's not too bad.

Maybe it's just the lomographer in me but I'm starting to like the unpredictable results.

11. Fatboymart

Fatboymart Member

Same here. Camera zoom fx took so long to open, my 2 year old had moved a mile - which is some doing for someone that small.

12. Dastin

Dastin Member

i used CameraZoomFX severl times and i do a lot of tex photographing, but as i noticed this app does not focus the letters (with default app i have no prob)... should it be this way?

13. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

I've been using Camera Zoom FX but I always close down any excess apps/programs before I use it and it seems to be pretty quick and the pictures are clear and sharp.

Even the stock camera isn't too bad in the right light, although for a 5mp camera I was expecting better. It gave me an excuse to buy a tiny kick ass digital camera though for when I need a better picture.

Al

14. bzzzzz

liq - i have been known to say hold still, i'm taking a photo.

15. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Well-Known Member

While I agree the images are not the best I disagree wholly about the shutter speed; at least with the standard app. Maybe its my class 6 sd card? Not sure.
    -WN

16. bzzzzz

Really?

Does that make a difference? Are you sure you don't get blurring if someone moves when your snapping them?

17. Fatboymart

Fatboymart Member

I've yet to see a photo that's not blurring or out in some way. And always that blue tint.

18. WhiteNoise

Took this pic a few min ago of my little dog chewing on a stick. She hardly ever sits still. [​IMG] So far no blue tint or blurring. But like I said the picture quality is pretty poor for a 5mp.

19. bzzzzz

what about inside shots when it starts to get a bit darker?

20. Fatboymart

Fatboymart Member

That's not a bad picture in fairness, but most of my photos happen to have a lively 2 year old moving around unexpectedly or while I'm at work I like to take the odd photo. on both occasions the camera usually lets me down.

21. peterb23

peterb23 Well-Known Member

I find if you take the white balance off auto and use one of the presets (although not always the one you would expect) you can get rid or the blue tinting.

Interesting point about the class 6 card. Might have to try that.

22. buhsnarf

buhsnarf Member

I've found either CameraMagic or the default app seem to be the best. But I've found if you use a little bit of post processing (just Google Picassa for me) you can get fairly decent photos if you're a fairly competent photographer, it's just not very point and shoot friendly.

I have a little 3 year old who can't sit still to save her life and I've got some okay ones...

Flickr Photo Download: Selfridges Wind Turbine

Flickr Photo Download: Amelia does Power & Chaos

I mean, it is still a little on the soft side, focus wise... but it's acceptable for when you've not got a proper digicam around.

23. WhiteNoise

They are definitively grainy but thats not the same as out of focus. Perhaps that is where some of the disagreement is coming from.

24. Fatboymart

Fatboymart Member

These posted photo's are a lot better than what I am able to capture.

I will follow advice and take off the white balance and see how that improves things.

Thanks

Martin

25. bzzzzz

The blurryness is not from lack of focus as far as I can work out. It's due to exposure time. I'll try and post some examples later