Best camera settings for indoor pictures?Support

Last Updated:

1. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone. I really love the Vibrant's camera for outdoor pictures. However, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated at the picture quality in indoor settings, especially in low light. There are sooo many ways to tinker the settings!!! What makes for the best quality pictures in indoor, low-light settings?

I always use my cell phone camera as my primary camera. I love my Vibrant, but the camera quality is really making me consider going to a different device.

Advertisement
  2. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Have you tried Night Mode? I don't take a lot of pictures, but I've seen shots using this mode and they're pretty impressive.

3. Benn514

Benn514 Member

With your camera open, go to settings. Click on "Scene Mode", then select "Night". Then post back and let us know how that went. I think you're gonna be pretty blown away with the results.

4. pantlesspenguin

No, night mode indoors makes the picture BRIGHTER, but the quality still sucks. Outdoors it works wonders at night, though.

5. w_bovine

pantlesspenguin likes this.
  6. pantlesspenguin

Wow, no! I didn't even know there were 3rd party camera apps. I'll do some tinkering w/ those, thanks. In the meantime, anyone else know how I can make my pics better?

I DO take lots of pics on my phone. I'm going on a family trip soon & would love to take some amazing pics :).

7. pantlesspenguin

Here, I'll show you what I mean. This pic was taken in the late afternoon in my apartment. There was natural light shining through the windows & I had a few lights going. I was taking a pic of an item I was placing on ebay. This was the best I could do. I wish I could remember what settings I had...but seriously, this looks like it was taken by the 1.3mp Sidekick camera I had 3 years ago!

[​IMG]

8. w_bovine

Hmm...are you focusing the camera first? At what resolution is the camera set?

9. mdtolic

mdtolic Well-Known Member

Yeah, that really doesn't seem right. Did you go through all the settings to make sure it's not set to a low resolution?

I was just changing mine and I can't take a bad picture; not even in "fireworks" mode.

10. pantlesspenguin

Yep, this is how it came out after focusing it. Crazy, eh? I do have the resolution set to 3.2 just so the files don't come out wicked huge, but I wouldn't think the pics would turn out that bad just because of that!

11. RyanZapata123

RyanZapata123 New Member

The photo you posted is at a resolution of 800x600. That is .48 megapixels.

A photo taken at the highest resolution is 2560x1920. That is 5 megapixels.

12. pantlesspenguin

In my camera's settings, it shows resolution of 2048x1536. How can this be??

13. w_bovine

Odd...I went and checked mine...the highest setting is 2560x1920.

14. pantlesspenguin

Yeah that's as high as it goes but I purposely set mine lower so the files aren't as big.

15. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

Indoor photography with natural, incandescent or flourescent lighting is a challenge even with an SLR or DSLR camera unless you have a very fast lens. A mobile device's camera, by necessity, is a compromise.

16. Terrier Hockey

Terrier Hockey Well-Known Member

Thanks, but that has nothing to do with why it's so grainy and low contrast.

If you have a desk lamp try shining it right at the object. For non-glossy objects like clothing this method works rather well.

17. pantlesspenguin

That's a a good point, but my blackberry's camera took pretty decent indoor pics, even with low light.

18. pantlesspenguin

Here's another example:

[​IMG]

I took this last night. Night mode was on. It was pretty dimly lit, but there should have been more than enouh light for a better picture. There was a screen like the one you see in the background right beside us providing light.

19. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

One possible issue with the photo you posted is the backlighting. If the backlighting was metered by the camera this would definitely affect the image of the intended subjects. I haven't seen the specs on the camera so I don't know if the metering is center weighted or not.

This is one shot were a flash might have proved helpful.

20. mdtolic

mdtolic Well-Known Member

Yeah, backlight can mess up your shot.

I've noticed that if I re-focus a few times, on different spots, the pic can change, sometimes, drastically. Just yesterday I was taking a pic and focused on someone's head, but when I clicked the screen again and focused on her waist, clarity and contrast went up dramatically. Not good for spur of the moment shots, but for things like stationary objects, give it a try. If you re-hang that sweatshirt, focus on the chest, then try the wood door and then even try the black slat door and see what happens.

21. TMoVibrant

TMoVibrant Active Member

I've used my camera on the T-Mobile Vibrant many, many times since I got my phone. Getting the right setting is mostly trial and error since the amount of lighting surrounding the picture shot varies (no matter if indoor vs outdoor shots).

The thing that still bugs me is that T-Mobile Vibrant has no flash where the Verzion version has a flash.