• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best car dock

sam007

Jun 26, 2010
guys

which is the best car dock for the nexus? is it the official one? For the official one, do you need to plug in the charger separately or it's integrated in the dock itself? Is it vacuum based on the glass or docks on the AC ducts?

Thanks

Looks like it's unavailable right now, but this is the one we got:
Mountek's nGroove CD Slot Mount - Universal Smartphone Car Mount fits Apple iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S, Blackberry, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc. [Inserts into CD Slot or Grooves in Dash] Reviews - Mounts - all brands Smart phones and Accessories
I like it since I find windshield mounted ones to be too distracting. It inserts into the cd player (so if you actually USE it, it's not an option). Very tight and secure fitting and you can use it with or without a case. Price is great too. (other reason I like this is the wife has Bionic so it's compatible with both)

Upvote 0
Tetrax Xway is AWESOME!!!! Check out my

Nice review and a nice made unit ......but the LAST thing I want is my AC vent obstructed. And subjecting it to cold and or warm air goes against my grain also.
I can not see myself getting into the car and giving up my HVAC comfort for a phone.
I guess its OK if you trade cars often, or do not drive the same vehicle all the time but I keep em more than 2 years so......

Being I am in the "No Phone Case" camp, and don't put up with blocking my HVAC..........

I use ProClipUSA systems and sometimes Pro Fit International dash mounting brackets for a custom professional install.
The Profits brackets are the serious mounts.

:eek:

Upvote 0
Nice review and a nice made unit ......but the LAST thing I want is my AC vent obstructed. And subjecting it to cold and or warm air goes against my grain also.
I can not see myself getting into the car and giving up my HVAC comfort for a phone.
I guess its OK if you trade cars often, or do not drive the same vehicle all the time but I keep em more than 2 years so......

Being I am in the "No Phone Case" camp, and don't put up with blocking my HVAC..........

I use ProClipUSA systems and sometimes Pro Fit International dash mounting brackets for a custom professional install.
The Profits brackets are the serious mounts.

:eek:

Use the FIXWAY instead.

Upvote 0
what else do these metal dots do? does the phone detect it's in a car dock when you do this? or can you car dock charge your phone through these dots?

Yes, it charges. There is also a 3.5mm audio out at the base of the mount allowing you to just drop the phone in and go. Put the phone in and its charging and has audio hooked up already. If it works like the nexus s than it should enter a vehicle mode of sorts as well.

Upvote 0
I just went to the source (former radioshack) and found an adjustable affinity igrip traveler window or dash mount for 24.99$, anyone have any comments on these? Its on sale for 24.99 until the 29th ($10 off) basically if expansys delays the 3pin dock on the 28th I think I'll go pick one up for 25$.

If anyone has any good/bad reviews please let me know

Heres a link: http://www.affinitycanada.com/main.php?id=82

Upvote 0
Any other suggestions out there for a car dock?

I'd like something small but I don't want my phone sitting in front of an HVAC unit. I'm also not sure I want the metal 'tag' Fixway uses on the back of my phone.

The Fixway is also TOO small. I want a dock that I can affix an NFC tag to so it puts the phone in car mode when docked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones