Best carrier (phone + data) for a nationwide business traveler? Any good options besides Verizon?

Last Updated:

1. Tehhund

Tehhund Member

I'm going to be travelling to a variety of locations in the US (no international travel) starting in June. I need a carrier for data and voice that will let me use my smartphone anywhere. Sometimes I'll need to connect my laptop to a wireless network, so I'll either need a modem or tethering.

Right now I have Verizon and I love it. It's fast, I have 3G coverage 80% of the time, and I never have dropped calls even in my crappy apartment where my Sprint phone drops calls all the time. And I'd like to get a a 4G phone as quickly as I can, so Verizon's LTE rollout has me excited. But I am unhappy with Verizon and Google's hand in screwing up Net Neutrality, so if there are any alternatives to Verizon I'd like to sign up with that alternative and cancel my Verizon contract in protest.

So - are there any carriers that will keep my smartphone and laptop connected as well as Verizon does? I had bad experiences with AT&T a year ago, and the Sprint phone and modem that my employer gave me have been a disappointment. Since AT&T is behind the times on LTE and since AT&T is buying T-Mobile, do I have any other options?

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You'd have to look into real world coverage where you're traveling. General coverage discussions are fairly pointless. If you don't want Verizon, at&t/TMO or Sprint then you're stuck with the smaller carriers who probably aren't the best choice for nationwide service.