• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Case for Spec?

It would really depend on how you like your phone to feel. I eventually got tired of the phone feeling bulky and started buying full body shields. They wont protect much against falls but i feel its better to have a nice feeling phone. As far as the phone getting hot, ive noticed that most 4g phones tend to get excessively hot after continuous use . I also personally havent seen any difference in heating between the silicone cases and a really thick case like the incipio cases.

Upvote 0
Just bought a "ballistic" case like this one: will report on it once it arrives. Using a basic silicone slip on now.

ballistic_sg_series_lg_spectrum_99120big.jpg

Reactions: Brandonson112
Upvote 0
I like the looks of the skinomi sheilds, but looks like they only protect against cosmetic damage. I'm using the silicone cover from LG and like it alot. Although not as protective as some other cases, it's not bulky at all, which I like since I carrry my phone in my pocket.

+1 here. I also really like the look. It keeps that OE look that I love about Spectrum. I like how it has the 'LG' and '4Glte' insignia's ghosted into it in the correct spots, it makes the case seem almost like a clear/ smoked type look. It does smear excessively and you lose almost all of the carbon fiber look of the battery cover though. Prection wise, it really seems for than suffcient. I have dropped the device a couple times and the case has worked beautifully. Again well worth the overpriced $20 to me. Being a bought this damn thing when it was $200, Im going to do what i can to protect it. I also havent noticed any more excessive heat than with out the case.

Upvote 0
I use this case and i can tell you it makes it bigger but its also much easier to hold now and it is pretty much fall resistant now.

Bigger I can live with. I already have a basic silicone slip on, and the silicone itself makes pulling the phone in and out of your pocket a bit more difficult because the rubber grabs onto cloth and clothing. But these are things I'm willing to live with to protect my phone from everyday hazards like drops, etc. I need/want my phone to last 2 years, not 4 months.

Upvote 0
I like the looks of the skinomi sheilds, but looks like they only protect against cosmetic damage. I'm using the silicone cover from LG and like it alot. Although not as protective as some other cases, it's not bulky at all, which I like since I carrry my phone in my pocket.

Yea the shield are good if you have insurance. I hate getting little scratches on my devices and don't like cases much so this is a good compromise. I figure as long as it doesn't slam against the floor im good. That hasnt ever happened luckily

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What have you experienced with the so called "orange peel effect"? I was looking at these and was definitely wanting more info about this...
You mean the screen image/quality? It doesn't diminish the quality that much for average applications and images. BUT, if you're watching HD movies or Netflix, you'll see some wavy lines. It's like if you were to take plastic wrap and put it over your screen. Honestly, it's not that bad. It's not as clear as the VZ/stock protector, but it's rubberized, so fingerprints simply don't appear. Seriously, I've maybe cleaned the screen 3 times since I had it put on, whereas I had to clean my VZ protectors several times a day.

Upvote 0
You mean the screen image/quality? It doesn't diminish the quality that much for average applications and images. BUT, if you're watching HD movies or Netflix, you'll see some wavy lines. It's like if you were to take plastic wrap and put it over your screen. Honestly, it's not that bad. It's not as clear as the VZ/stock protector, but it's rubberized, so fingerprints simply don't appear. Seriously, I've maybe cleaned the screen 3 times since I had it put on, whereas I had to clean my VZ protectors several times a day.

Ya I was referring to the image quality, read reviews saying it greatly affects images etc but was tempted to try it as the reviews said it does really well at protecting screen.

I got my case in the mail today (mentioned in posts above) and it looks way nice. It hardly makes the phone any bigger and the transparent look is great. In terms of protection you could probably do better as the plastic isnt extremely thick but overall I like it and hopefully wont ever need to test how sturdy it is.

On a very unrelated note, certain member's names are listed as premium I was just wondering what exactly that means?

Upvote 0
I have the LG Spectrum with the extended battery and am wondering if there are any good strong cases that will be able to hold the extended battery and have the holster option too. I bought the Shell and holster case from verizon but the whole thing is starting to break a lil at a time. I would say i am really rough on phones seeings how i work on vehicles and am always outdoors doing something. Please help me.

Upvote 0
I ordered a Body Glove slide on hard case. I don't have it yet, but I am excited for it to arrive.

I bought the Body Glove case when I got my phone as I didn't like how stiff the VZW silicone was. I have been using it and would say it's really nice for the most part. My only real issue was that there is a little plastic "collar" that goes where the two case pieces meet and within the first week it came off and I had to glue it back. Unfortunately I super glued the case SHUT! So you know that was cool, soaking it with acetone till it came apart again. Well needless to say it still works ok but now it looks like hell. I bought a Ballistic case as I usually prefer the rubberized over the smooth plastic as I think it probably gives better shock protection (my main concern). The Body Glove is nice but hopefully the Ballistic will be closer to the otterbox I had on my DX.

Upvote 0
Amazon.com: Verizon LG Spectrum (VS920) Premium All Black Hybrid Slicone + Hard Protector Case Cover With Heavy Duty Belt Clip Holster (+ Screen Protector): Cell Phones & Accessories

i just order that^

I already own these three... v

Amazon.com: LG Spectrum VS920 Revolution 2 Scratch Resistance Anodized Coating Aluminum with Modern Reflection design Clip on Protector Case + DragonCell Premium Screen Film Protector: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Electromaster(TM) Brand - White Snap-On Hard Skin Case Cover New for LG Spectrum VS920: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: LG Spectrum Vertical Leather Case Hip Holster Swivel And Spring Clips Black And Red (2 Clips): Everything Else

They are all good but just al ittle bit of a heads up if anyone buys any of these. The slide holster doesn't fit with the white cover well and will stain it. They are the first 2 I bought and and it stained my white case on day one from sliding it inside the holster slide case. I was able to clean most of it off but not all. I then bought the metal back case and it's nice and fits the slide holster case nicely. The spec also fits in it nice with no shell at all.

I'm looking forward to getting the one I just ordered. I'll leave some feedback after I do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones