• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best choice to root Nook Color

twcowdery

May 18, 2011
I'm sure that this has been asked and answered, but I haven't been able to find it.

I've had an original Nook Color for a few years. I ran CM7 from a SD card on it for about a year when I first got it. But once I got a 10 inch tablet, I took out the SD card and just used it as a Nook.

But lately, it has just been gathering dust. I have a use for it if I go back to Android. But this time, I think I'd rather just root it rather than go the SD car route. I figure that might eke out a little bit of extra performance vs running it from the SD card. Also I've heard that the newer models allow overclocking, which might help some more.

I did try running CM10.1 from the SD card, but it is just way too sluggish - much worse than CM7 was. I am OK with going back to CM7. It worked well enough for the year that I did that.

But I would like to use a newer version if I can. So I'd like to hear from anyone who has actual experience with any of the other versions before I go back to CM7.

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not worried about games. Believe it or not, the main thing that I want to do with it is read eBooks. The 10" tablet is just a little heavy and awkward for reading ebooks, but the Nook is just the right size and weight.

As an Android tablet, I wouldn't be limited to just B&N ebooks. Of course, I'd probably also use it for light web surfing, email, and so on, but the ability to read other brands of ebooks (ie Kindle) on the Nook is my main goal.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not worried about games. Believe it or not, the main thing that I want to do with it is read eBooks. The 10" tablet is just a little heavy and awkward for reading ebooks, but the Nook is just the right size and weight.

As an Android tablet, I wouldn't be limited to just B&N ebooks. Of course, I'd probably also use it for light web surfing, email, and so on, but the ability to read other brands of ebooks (ie Kindle) on the Nook is my main goal.

If it's just ebooks, then CM7 is your most stable. I used Mirage Kang ROM, which is CM7 based.

It's a great tablet for reading. I loved mine but I sacrificed and gave it as a gift to a nephew overseas.

If you want a taste of Jellybean, try Paranoid Android and overclock it a little, not too much (1100). Mine held up pretty good. I had to be careful and not move around too fast or it would freeze. OC'ng to 1100 helped and it didn't freeze as much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones