• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best current or coming soon 7" tablet?

taotree

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
I recently purchased the Acer Iconia 7" tablet from best buy. I can still return it and am currently trying to decide whether I should or not. I think I like the added portability of the 7" vs. 10", so I think I would stick with the 7" size. Is there a "better" 7" tablet either on the market, or even one that is expected to hit the market soon?

My primary use is as a tool. I want to use it as a "scanner" (scanning hand drawn sketches), planning, managing todo's, calendar, checking email, browsing internet, maps, gps, compass, etc... So, although I will use it as a toy also, my primary criteria is as an effective productivity tool. When it comes to electronics, I'm very impatient, so an underpowered device would be undesirable. Battery life is also important. Low maintenance is also important.

Thanks!

The upcoming Galaxy Tab 7.7 seems great, not to mention the first tablet to pack an AMOLED screen.

Great. Is there someone that help me understand the difference in CPU power between that Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Acer Iconia 7? I realize there are lots of other things to compare but CPU power in tablets is one area that I have little idea how to compare because of the different CPU brands and such.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The Gtab 7.7 has a 1.4Ghz Dual core proc with Mali-400 GPU, on an Exynos chipset.

Here's a spec comparison:
Acer Iconia Tab A100 vs. Samsung P8600 Galaxy Tab 7.7 - GSMArena.com

Great, thanks! So the Gtab would have significantly more CPU power given the 1.4 vs. 1.0 ghz, though I don't know how to compare the GPU side of that.

Is there any news on whether they'll sell a wifi only version?

If they had put a better camera in it, I'd be sold. 3.15 MP seems pretty low these days, and that's an important feature for me because I want to use it to scan in 8.5x11 papers.

Upvote 0
Great, thanks! So the Gtab would have significantly more CPU power given the 1.4 vs. 1.0 ghz, though I don't know how to compare the GPU side of that.

If they had put a better camera in it, I'd be sold. 3.15 MP seems pretty low these days, and that's an important feature for me because I want to use it to scan in 8.5x11 papers.

If you are looking for one that's just wifi only you might consider looking on ebay for one with a bad ESN. Won't work on a cell network, but will work just fine on wifi and you'll get a better deal on it.

Upvote 0

If your phone has a better camera, you can always bluetooth the photos to the tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones