• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best Custom ROM for Nexus One?

I've tried both MoDaCo's and Cyanogen's and I think I like Cyan's more... Still on day 2 of Sense but there are a few minor things that I don't like.

I'm interested to hear what you don't like. I installed MoDaCo's N1 ROM and didn't like the look and feel of the the "stock" N1 UI at all. I switched to Sense and I love it.

Sure, the radio doesn't work and I have trouble with MMS but I don't mind that...

Upvote 0
I'm interested to hear what you don't like. I installed MoDaCo's N1 ROM and didn't like the look and feel of the the "stock" N1 UI at all. I switched to Sense and I love it.

Sure, the radio doesn't work and I have trouble with MMS but I don't mind that...
You can push the native SMS.apk on to the rom and not suffer those issues, if you use the kitchen. I also removed the radio and some other junk as it just takes up space.

Upvote 0
Ok, possibly a dumb question...

Let's say that I've installed a custom ROM like Modaco's Sense UI ROM and I've been using it. In the course of using the phone I've downloaded a bunch of apps that I like and essentially I've got everything set up the way I want it.

Now:

1) That ROM gets upgraded

or

2) I decide to subscribe to kitchen and create my own custom ROM (with the default messenger app, etc...)

Is there a way to save all of apps that I've downloaded and all of my configuration info (i.e. SetCPU profiles) so I don't have to download/configure everything again?

Upvote 0
I was able to back-up, use the kitchen, and restore today with no problem.

Now, is there a way to get trackball wake with Modaco?

I've only had the N1 for about 2 days, and am also looking into the various custom ROMs. For trackball wake on the stock ROM, I found Flyscreen. It also lets you add widgets to the lock screen, even a media player (which is sweet). Does anyone know if cyan has a media player on the lock screen? I had each of the iPhones before I switched to android, and that's an important feature to me so I can skip songs on the road.

Upvote 0
Cyanogen 5.0.5.3......stable

I support this. It is the most stable rom for the nexus...even more stable than the stock rom personally!

However if you love sense as much as I do, then you might wanna pick up modaco's desire rom. I get decent battery life, but you can always flash the undervolted kernel and pick up a little extra by underclocking your device.

Upvote 0
I'm getting fed up with the Desire ROM - laggy... very laggy... seems to just load up all the apps... gotta keep killing them... contacts, messaging, very laggy... i'm still keeping it due to the exchange calendar, the camera and dialer - all way better imo than stock - (and i like the contacts setup better, just not the lag)... but frankly, not sure what i'll do... i might have to try the cyanogen rom... or maybe just go back to the stock nexus ROM and sell it... or just deal with it until there's an update once Paul gets back... we're looooong overdue for a Desire ROM update...

or i might go back to iphone with OS 4.0 coming and the next get iphone around the corner...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones