• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best custom rom

"Best" is subjective as hell. People will come in and reply and sing the praises of whatever they're using ... but it's really a personal preference.

Cognition, as I understand it these days, is a more polished version of stock.
There are several ROMs out there that are based on "reoriented" i9000 firmware.

CapFaq has a nice little up-to-date table of all the current ROMs out there...that would probably be a good place to start.

Upvote 0
After trying a bunch of ROMs, my recommendation is this:

Get really comfortable with the flashing process and give each ROM a few days.

What I do after I flash a new ROM is check a few critical things (for me). Those include a GPS test, and some other misc things like "If I'm on a call and go away from the In-Call screen, does pressing the Phone icon take me back to the in call screen or the dialer". Also, icon coloration/themes are important to me. Some ROMs have no coloring for their menu screens; it's all personal preference really.

Most of the mainstream ROMs on XDA are gonna work for most people. I really like Andromeda 1.2 and Continuum 3.1.1, although I'm running Serendipity right now (although I'll probably be switching back to Continuum).

It's my experience that they are all similar (being based on 2.2), so they're gonna function mostly the same, so try 'em all!

Upvote 0
I've been a Cognition (both 3.x and 4.x) user before installing Serendipity 6.2 several days ago. It seems a little slower to me than Cognition, but I find it looks nicer (even though it has a little more bloat than Cognition). Also voice quality dropped since switching to Serendipity. Still trying to get to the bottom of this one.

Right now I'm thinking about going back to Cognition and finding a theme for a better status bar (I don't like the stock one that Cognition has).

Upvote 0
i have gone through most of them with a few notable exceptions. like continuum which I plan to try, but like Firefly the best so far, and in general that family of roms (including Phoenix) the best. I like the theme of Firefly without modding it including the colors, completely black status bar, big battery numbers, and the swype skin has the best visibility to me. For me, it has the best battery life, the GPS works fine, and it is fast enough such that it does not require lagfix so it is not necessary to disable it before flashing a new rom.

Upvote 0
I have been running Paragon RC6 for a couple weeks now and really like it. It was my first flash and I have not tried any others (yet) so i can't give you any of the "this is better than that" talk. I can tell you that my GPS is better with Paragon. Again the whole GPS issue depends on the phone, but mine has improved to be at the very least "usable".

Anyways, i flashed using the AIO Tollbox from Bay_wolf and it made the whole process very easy. Not without incident though so be prepared to spend a little time with it. ANd when doing it i had problems with the Odin-one click step and had to use the 3 button.

Upvote 0
I'm on my fourth ROM now. I started with Perception (nice), then Cognition (okay), then Serendipity 5.12 (great), and yesterday I flashed Di11i's 7.1. I think Serendipity looks the most formal and was an overall great ROM. I stayed with it for about a month and decided I just wanted to see what else was out there. As I said, I'm just starting with Di11i's, but so far it looks amazing. It has a lot of the same fixes as Serendipity (i.e. BLN, Voodoo sound, RAM increasing, etc.) but I think it looks a lot more futuristic, if you know what I mean. One difference in these two is that if you are to flash Di11i, it gives you the ROM, his custom kernel, and his modem as well. I don't know how I feel about that. I like the ROM, but the kernel and lagfix didn't seem very snappy. I went back and reapplied my new Onix 2.0.3 kernel with SGS kernel flasher (amazing app). I also am not very happy with the Di11i modem. It seems to be lacking quite a bit more than my old one. I'm going to give Firefly and Phoenix a try, but may very well end up going back to Serendipity.

As for kernels, I've run the stock, SpeedMod k13c, Paragon6 (a version of SpeedModk13a), Di11i's, and now Onix 2.0.3 (a version of SpeedMod k13d). I was very happy with the SpeedMod k13c. It was plenty snappy and made my battery go about 18 hours on about 40%. I'm now on Onix which in my opinion, is a little bit faster, but drains battery quite a bit quicker as well. Although I am on the 1000 Hz option, rather than the battery saving 100 Hz. I would suggest one of these two as a good base kernel though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones