• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Data/Task Killer?

saltyduck

Apr 11, 2012
I have had androids since the OG Droid. I now have the Galaxy Nexus and for the first time EVER I have gotten a warning message about data. I'm trying to be more conscious about my usage - and read up on that Facebook post on here since I've noticed that FB is extremely data-hungry. The next thing I notice that is using the most data is the Google Play Store and a lot of it is "background" data. How can I disable these apps for running background data? I notice when I press "restrict background data" and it says that it can only be possible when you've set a mobile data limit - so do I set a mobile data limit for myself? If I'm on the "unlimited" plan what is my data limit? (I know it is not truly unlimited). And same with the gmail - its mostly background data - WHAT IS background data?

Additionally, I have "Advanced task killer" on my phone and I notice there's these apps that open up that I NEVER use except for once a month or once every other month but are ALWAYS open. Why are they always open if I never open them? Is there away to make them ALWAYS stay closed UNTIL I use them? I'm betting these are killing my battery too. I have the "Advanced Task Killer" set to Auto-Kill and set to do it frequently but it sure doesn't seem to be doing much.

Any help to optimize my phone would be helpful.

Autokilling anything on Android makes the OS think that "hey, that app crashed, lets start it up again!", making you use up even more data and battery. Remove the task killer. Its just left for Androids using 2.1 and below. Anything higher and the scenario I mentioned happens.

Get 3G watchdog to monitor data usage, and just uninstall any app you don't need that eats up data.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Autokilling anything on Android makes the OS think that "hey, that app crashed, lets start it up again!", making you use up even more data and battery. Remove the task killer. Its just left for Androids using 2.1 and below. Anything higher and the scenario I mentioned happens.

Get 3G watchdog to monitor data usage, and just uninstall any app you don't need that eats up data.

Thanks I will uninstall the task killer.

I don't really want to only run on 3g. If I did, I would have gotten a 3g phone. I did download Juice Defender and dislike the way that disconnects my data when the screen is off so I don't get emails as soon as they come in - I need to get emails ASAP for my job.

And I have uninstalled apps that I don't need, but these are ones that I do need EVENTUALLY just not all the time. I still have 27 gigs left on this phone, I've barely made a dent in the memory as I don't have many apps or any music or anything on it at all. I just want to manage the usage/data better and what IT does when I'm NOT using it. I wish I could disable an app UNTIL I use it.

Anyway my BATTERY life is pretty good on the phone. I just don't want all this clutter going on in the background or without my saying so.

Upvote 0
According to your problem, the best app i can recommend is droidwall. But you need to be rooted for using that. It can restrict any app you want from using data connection as per your needs. High battery and data saver. But if you are not rooted than you can disable background data and auto sync from settings. Hope this helps :)

sent from my rooted gingerbread GT-B7510 using tapatalk

Upvote 0
For FB, just log out - you'll get a warning that "This will remove account data...blah blah blah..."
You'll just have to login again. ;)

What is giving you the warning if you are on an unlimited plan?
I don't know what OS you're running but in GB you can restrict syncing via Battery and Data Manager and then Data Delivery and then Social Applications.
You can restrict the google market in Data Saver.

Upvote 0
According to your problem, the best app i can recommend is droidwall. But you need to be rooted for using that. It can restrict any app you want from using data connection as per your needs. High battery and data saver. But if you are not rooted than you can disable background data and auto sync from settings. Hope this helps :)

sent from my rooted gingerbread GT-B7510 using tapatalk

Unfortunately my phone is unrooted! I never figured out (nor do I think I'm savvy enough:thinking:) to root my phone. :(

But I looked up droidwall and it does look like what I want! Why can't they make this app for unrooted phones?

Upvote 0
For FB, just log out - you'll get a warning that "This will remove account data...blah blah blah..."
You'll just have to login again. ;)

What is giving you the warning if you are on an unlimited plan?
I don't know what OS you're running but in GB you can restrict syncing via Battery and Data Manager and then Data Delivery and then Social Applications.
You can restrict the google market in Data Saver.

OH! I didn't think of that! I also was reading to use the browser instead.

It's saying "Data Usage warning" - it's at 2gb. Normally I never use this much, but I had internet issues on my home computer so I had to rely on my phone for a few days as my sole means of communication. I have been a Verizon customer for years and was "Grandfathered" into their unlimited plan. It's Galaxy nexus with Ice Cream Sandwich.....

Upvote 0
I see you've got a GN. Just change the data limit warning. 2GB is the default value. Go to this link and check out Set mobile data warning.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.verizonwireless.com%2Fclc%2Fdevices%2Fknowledge_base.html%3Fid%3D51429&ei=GP-FT6CtBuTx0gHgz4XWBw&usg=AFQjCNHPbxRroDxmbyhh_WTLUnGUwSoQFA

Upvote 0
The data limit warning you are seeing is apart of the OS in ICS. It is put in place for people with data limits. It isn't anything from Verizon. If you grandfathered in to the unlimited plan then you have nothing to worry about. Verizon isn't going to say anything to you until you start hitting 30 GB + a month on a regular basis.

If you want to change your limit on the phone (to avoid the warning message) then go to settings > data usage and just move it up. I leave mine at about 20 GB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones