Best deal? Amazon or costco maybe?

Last Updated:

1. rofflez

rofflez Member This Topic's Starter

Amazon wireless (AmazonWireless: Cell Phones and Plans) appears to be carrying the Captivate (look at the ATT picture!), but it is not for sale yet. They have the Vibrant for 100 for new users and 200 for upgrade (so if it's the same for the captivate on ATT, it's not a deal for current users aside from waived activation).

Have most of you guys been paying the activation fee?

Also costco had the vibrant for 100 for all users (http://membershipwireless.com/index.cfm/go/shop/do/PhoneDetails/productid/3771). No sign on their website yet about the captivate. If they do the same thing, that'd be amazing.

any one know of any other possible deals?

Advertisement
  2. radi0chik

radi0chik Well-Known Member

are you looking for one to extend your contract or out of contract?

3. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member

Costco should be one of the better deals. They allow upgrades for all lines at the same price as line 1 and allow you to keep your existing plan and data plan. Wirefly charges more if not line 1 and you need to choose a plan.

4. rofflez

on contract extension within a family plan.

however, i'll only be upgrading one line at a time (other family members are living in a different city and i'm the only one getting a smartphone) and am looking to avoid upgrade fees.

5. radi0chik

rofflez... call in their customer support and tell them you'r considering on switching carriers. They'll give you a pretty hefty discount if you sound serious enough. I did that, and got mine on a renewed contract extension of 2 years for a whopping 49 dollars.

rofflez likes this.
  6. rofflez

woah, you just called the main ATT customer service and they sold it to you early for 150 off? so they're shipping it to you soon?

7. rofflez

I called in to customer service and they said they couldn't even waive the upgrade fee. :(

I don't think I sounded convincing enough? they mentioned stuff about payment history, monthly rates etc. factoring into available discounts. did you have a smartphone before? we've had our family plan for a looooooong time (since it was ATT... the first time), but never had any data plans and only got the cheapest texting on one line recently.

8. radi0chik

I've had a smartphone for many years through them. When you called the tech support, did you select the menu option for removing services or removing lines or whatever? basically you get the retention department. They shouldn't care what your history is...if you say you're looking at the verizon droid, they should try to keep you. But if they call your bluff, I dont know what to tell you.

9. rofflez

no, I think I called the right department (they admitted some people get discounts) but they probably called my bluff. I'll try again or have someone else more convincing try lol. Thanks for the advice!

10. radi0chik

ok good luck. Yeah go into the touch tone menu and listen to the prompts where it says if you want to cancel or downgrade your service press xx - that gets you to the people who get paid extra money to KEEP you with them. :) They have lots of power to give you discounts. Good luck!