Best device for long term

Last Updated:

1. scottbg1

scottbg1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, new to the forums and this is my first post. :)

I currently own a Blackberry Bold, through AT&T. I have an upgrade available and have been eyeing the android OS for sometime now.

I am a huge techy and I spend alot of time tinkering with my blackberry, as I have just about hacked it to death. :)

I am also a novice linux user, as is another reason I am so interested in Android and its open source roots.

My question is, out of all the phones currently available for Android, which is best suited for long term usability? Meaning, I know there are some devices being sold as the latest and greatest Android device, but I am sure they will fade away with thier Android support dying with it.

I'd like a powerful device, something functional for more than texting and chatting. Something that would be easily rooted (I use this term loosely as I have only read about rooting a phone to gain superuser access), and one that will still be a game player months down the road, and not obsolete a week after I buy it.

As far as comparisons, Samsung's new Galaxy seems to have the hottest processor right now, but will Samsung stay on top? Meaning, will it accept future versions easily and run them well?

My techy logic says to stay with something like the Motorola or HTC models as they have been the front runners up till now, as far as I have read.

If nothing currently on the market now fits this bill, is there anything you guys know of being released in the near future that would, that I should wait for?

I have been eyeing the Dell Thunder, but the same fear that I have for the Samsung comes into play. Will Dell be a strong contender?

I'm not naive in thinking that any one device is going to meet my wishes perfectly, but surely there is one out there now, or on its way to coming close.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Scott

Advertisement
  2. graff_king

graff_king Well-Known Member

If you are set on staying with AT&T I would say to eye the galaxy line. If open to possibly switching carriers I would say the evo hands down. I love my evo and rooting it was easiest of the 6 different android devices I have rooted in the past.

3. AreikUSA

AreikUSA Member

I've got the captivate on at&t and yes its easy to do anything any other android phone can do.
    I've already rooted my phone among other things without a probelm I love this thing
    if your staying with at&t Samsung is the way to go.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

In the world of mobile smart phones, nothing is long term. Plan on upgrading at least every 2 years, if not sooner.

substring likes this.
  5. substring

substring Well-Known Member

AndroidSPCS is absolutely correct. Long term in the mobile device world is about 2 years (kind of like a doggie year :) ). The technology in mobile devices is advancing so rapidly that you are expected to change phone every two year. Besides, most carriers like Verizon Wireless have discount deal for you to change phone after a certain period of years.

At Verizon, after 2 years, they give you $100 off on the new phone. Therefore, if you are not planning to switch carrier any time soon and will stay in contract, you can get the high end phone at only $99, after all the discounts and rebate. So there is very little reason to keep a phone longer than 2 years. :)

6. scottbg1

scottbg1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the responses!

Because I had to make a change in my contract recently, they politely tacked on another 11 months to it, so it would be this time next year before I could change carriers. Besides, I can't complain with the service I have gotten from them in the past. If I did change, it would strictly be for the phone.

You guys say two years, thats great news as I really didn't guess it would be that long.

I had an AT&T rep show me the captivate just a couple of days ago, and it was indeed very sexy! Deep down inside, I am glad it was recommended as I really liked the reviews I read, and hands on was a good experience too.

I'm really very excited about getting into Android. When it was first released a guy I work with bought one of the first ones to hit my area, the G1 I think, and I wasn't rally impressed with it. And then just a few months later, another guy bought a new release, and I marveled at the night and day difference between the two. Playing around with the Samsung the other day really left me impressed. I was amazed at how far it has evolved in such a short time. I am curious to see what the next couple of years brings with this gem.

I wasn't completely honest in my first post. My girlfriend has a Motorola Droid and it bricked on her a few days ago, and being the geek that I am she asked me if I thought I could fix it. Being adventurous I gave it a try. So after a little research I downloaded RSDlite, and SPrecovery for 2.1 and went to work. I don't have to mention the brownie points I received when I handed her phone back to her back in order and with no loss of her contacts and data.

Thats what I was fishing for when I asked about the userbility of the other phones. I found hacking the Droid fairly straight forward and relatively easy. I was hoping the other phones I was eyeing were the same.

One thing i will miss about my blackberry is the security it offers. I have read some disconcerting news about Android being too easily accessed. But I'm not the president, nor the Governor of Alaska, so I would imagine nobody would care much what this ol' boy from South Alabama would be corresponding about. :)

Thanks again for the responses.