• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best dual core for playing games?

Hello

I've got an orange (uk) contract thats due for renewal in july. I want to get a dual core phone, as i intended to play a lot of games on the device. Problem is, i don't know which to get. I've narrowed it down to these below:

SGS 2 - Amazing benchmark results, but early reports from owners suggest not many games currently play properly on the Mali 400 gpu. Will these said games be reconfigured to run properly?

LG Optimus 3d and 2x - Both are dual core with resonable benchmark results, but only 512mb ram worries me, it doesn't seem alot for a dual core device? One big plus point - the 2x has an nvidia tegra chip, so gaming is a given.

HTC Sensation - Running an Adreno 220 gpu and a cpu based on an older (but modified) design (compared to other dual cores), but twice the cores. How good will this be? Will it be supported by game developers and manufacturers?

Motorola Atrix - Low benchamrk results compared to others, and questionable screen quality. Poor voice call quality for a lot of U.S handsets. But it runs Nvidia chip, so again it has gaming and developer support.

Anyone have any advice on which to get, or any other info on the above handsets? I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but maybe someone has something to add that might sway me to one device or another?

Thanks in advance

Ian

I'm exactly in the same dilemma, the question that is bugging me is yes the SGSII is a beast but what games are going to be developed that will take advantage of the actual hardware, while the Tegra2 based mobiles will have the Tegra Zone thing with plenty of games to take advantage. I for one am not going to get a powerhouse of a phone but have nothing but the standard marketplace and maybe a few custom games to play on it (unless Sammy are opening their own games site) I'd rather have a well supported albeit less powerful device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones