Best DX Tether option?Support

Last Updated:

1. sex instructor

sex instructor Member This Topic's Starter

Before I bought the DroidX my biggest concern was being able to tether the phone with other devices. My last phone (Samsung Omnia) had a program that allowed me to use the phone as a wifi hotspot and tether ANYTHING to it. Even has some pretty good speed too, it seems with the DX the best option I have (besides paying Verizon for tethering) is PdAnet and its not very good. I was wondering if there are any methods or programs that are better than Pdanet:confused:

Advertisement
  2. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

There are free wireless tether available for root users.

3. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

Interested to know why you say PdaNet is not very good. I used it for 18 hours last election day (primaries) to assist voters in verifying their polling location, etc. Worked quite well for me. Just asking.

Al

4. wxman2003

wxman2003 Well-Known Member

Pdanet using bluetooth works great on the x.

5. sex instructor

sex instructor Member This Topic's Starter

mine randomly drops the connection and runs unbearably slow even with 4 bars on the antenna. I have it for OS X if that make a difference

6. ChiefHopper

MBP with OS X 10.6.4 here. I use USB tether. Were you running it BT DUN by any chance?

7. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

I noticed that my PdaNET randomly dropped the signal as well. And I always had 4 bars, so there's no reason for it. Still, an excellent program IMO if you aren't going to root your phone.

If you do root you can use Barnicle or Wireless Tether for Root Users. I use the latter and it's incredible. Speeds are MUCH faster than PdaNET, and so long as you click the 'enable wake lock' you should stay connected for as long as you like. I didn't have that enabled at first, and I noticed that everytime I had been online for about 5 minutes, the connection dropped. I later came to the conclusion that once the phone went to sleep my data was going too slow (I use SetCPU to underclock it while asleep) to keep the connection going. But once I found that option and enabled it, that was taken care of.

8. 134k

134k Member

I use easy tether lite. I've yet to drop a connection as with pda net. Not to mention installation and the ADB drivers was issue free. I gave pda net a chance, but frankly it sucks and is unreliable.

9. ChiefHopper

tether lite appears to be PC only. Note that "sex_instructor" is using OS X. Or did I miss something someplace?

10. wcr3d

wcr3d Member

The "bars" are for your voice signal. No affect on the data side. You want to see the "3G" beside it. If you see "1X" then you'll probably drop. I use PDAnet on my mac with no issues at all.