• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Email solution for Hotmail

lo2

Feb 16, 2012
Hi there

(First off I have browsed around the forum to see if I could find a solution to this very problem, but I could not.)

I have a SE Xperia Arc S, and I am using the default Mail client on the phone, and I am using hotmail, where I use the program Windows Live Mail.

Recently I have got annoyed with the fact that when I get a mail, and I then read it on my computer, the you have got a mail notice on my phone does not disappear. I have to drag down the notice bar and click on it for it to disappear. I heard from some friends using Gmail and IPhone that they did not have this problem. So is there a way too fix it? And if so how?

Also another question, sometimes a symbol, with two arrows, which together forms a circle (looks a bit like a recycle icon) appears on my notice bar. So what does this symbol represent?

OP, I know that the stock email app only syncs so often (haven't used the hotmail app, so I don't know. The reason your friend with the iphone has a different experience is because of gmail. If you set up gmail (from your desktop) to pull the email out of hotmail and feed it to your gmail app, it'll work exactly like you want it to. I do that with my gmail account all the time. And you even get to choose from within the app if you want to send email from gmail account, or the hotmail account. It's a pretty sweet set up.

Upvote 0
I access Hotmail (and Gmail) through the default email app on my LG Optimus S (and I use Outlook 2010 on my PC) but I don't have lo2's problem.

Possibilities:
1) Windows Live Mail is not properly syncing to let the Hotmail servers know that you've already read an email. You could test that by reading a Hotmail email in Windows Live Mail, and then doing a Send/Receive to sync with the Hotmail servers. Then open up a web browser, go to Hotmail.com, login, and go to your Inbox. Does the email appear (unbolded) as though it's been read?

2) Hotmail is not properly syncing "already read" email with Android. If you have a confirmed "already read" email on the Hotmail server, then go to the Hotmail inbox of your Android device, hit the settings button, and then do a "refresh" (sync). Does the notification disappear? If so you may just want to set up your sync to happen more frequently.

By the way... you may find the following link useful for syncing your Hotmail, Contacts, & Calendar between Windows Live Mail and Android.
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...id-without-3rd-party-app-exchange-server.html

Upvote 0
I access Hotmail (and Gmail) through the default email app on my LG Optimus S (and I use Outlook 2010 on my PC) but I don't have lo2's problem.

Possibilities:
1) Windows Live Mail is not properly syncing to let the Hotmail servers know that you've already read an email. You could test that by reading a Hotmail email in Windows Live Mail, and then doing a Send/Receive to sync with the Hotmail servers. Then open up a web browser, go to Hotmail.com, login, and go to your Inbox. Does the email appear (unbolded) as though it's been read?

2) Hotmail is not properly syncing "already read" email with Android. If you have a confirmed "already read" email on the Hotmail server, then go to the Hotmail inbox of your Android device, hit the settings button, and then do a "refresh" (sync). Does the notification disappear? If so you may just want to set up your sync to happen more frequently.

By the way... you may find the following link useful for syncing your Hotmail, Contacts, & Calendar between Windows Live Mail and Android.
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...id-without-3rd-party-app-exchange-server.html

Well there is really no difference between using the program and reading it through the browser.

Also when I have read it at the computer, at the moment I click on the mail client (on the phone) it changes the mail to read. It is just that it cannot comprehend that I have read it, before I tap the icon...

So not really sure what to do, of course it is not a major problem. Just incredible irritating as it ought to work!

Upvote 0
Also tried setting up a gmail account with the exchange configuration, on the default mail program on the phone, and the same thing is still the case.

So I wonder if this is a problem of the SE Xperia Arc S.

It seems that it fails to communicate back with the phone, for some reason... But at the moment you open the program, it detects that you have read it, and marks it as read, it is just a bit late then...

And also anyone else having problems with the Hotmail app, where it just does not seem to synchronize at all?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones