• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best exchange email app

The format on the inbox summary screen is terrible - font is too large, black background / white text - can only see a few emails at a time. As opposed to touchdown which looks great in the inbox summary screen.

On the subject of Touchdown can anybody advise how to get the icon showing the number of unread messages - I see there's various widgets etc for it but all I want is an icon which shows number of unread messages - same as how the stock email icon works.

Thanks

Upvote 0
On the subject of Touchdown can anybody advise how to get the icon showing the number of unread messages - I see there's various widgets etc for it but all I want is an icon which shows number of unread messages - same as how the stock email icon works.

Thanks
Touchdown shows the number of unread messages in the icon for me. Pretty sure that I've never seen a setting to change that though.

Notification sound is in menu->settings->advanced->email alerts

No idea if that's in the trial version or not.

Upvote 0
The format on the inbox summary screen is terrible - font is too large, black background / white text - can only see a few emails at a time. As opposed to touchdown which looks great in the inbox summary screen.

Thanks

Hi Scotwis,

I'm also dissapointed with the stock email - compared to the HTC stock email, there's no ability (as far as I can find??) to browse sub-folders.

I've tried K-9 but it's complicated to set up, am browsing the web for instructions now. It is one of the most popular email apps on Android, but I'm not sure if it supports Microsoft Exchange Sync. Give it a go.

Thanks for your post

Upvote 0
Exchange email on the android is terrible, I'm really looking for an app that can do it better. (I used to use iPhone, which had excellent exchange/AD support built in)

Specifically, I want to be able to search messages on the server, I want it to autocomplete addresses from the GAL, I want emails that have been read on the phone to show up read in Outlook (and vice-versa), and I want to look up contact details from the Global Address List (GAL)

Upvote 0
Exchange email on the android is terrible, I'm really looking for an app that can do it better. (I used to use iPhone, which had excellent exchange/AD support built in)

Specifically, I want to be able to search messages on the server, I want it to autocomplete addresses from the GAL, I want emails that have been read on the phone to show up read in Outlook (and vice-versa), and I want to look up contact details from the Global Address List (GAL)

Have you tried touchdown?

Upvote 0
What didn't you like with the stock email app and exchange?

Mine actually took 10% of my used battery, which I thought was quite high for Push email in peak time and 4 hour off peak. This was one exchange account. 3% Client 7% exchange service. This same account, 100% on my old phone didn't even really register on the battery scale. 2% if that.

Upvote 0
Touchdown is pretty good but still has quirks. Better than stock email using exchange though. The bottom line is the iphone handles exchange email perfectly, android has some way to go.
Has anybody tried anything other than stock email and touchdown for exchange email - maybe there's something great out there?

Upvote 0
Touchdown is the best I've seen on Android, I've been using it for two years on my Nexus One. If there's anything better on Android I'd love to see it.

Exchange support on the iPhone is pretty good, but Touchdown supports a lot more native Exchange functionality, such as forwarding calendar invitations, out-of-office auto replies, server-side searching, remote wipe, etc.

Upvote 0
All, I am in the same boat with the Droid RAZR. What's really making me nuts is that I can only seem to connect to Exchange with the default android Email client (might be a Moto app...not sure). I've tried Enhanced Mail, Touchdown, and a couple of others (all with defined Exchange support) and my corp server rejects them when it tries to register.

Anyone else seen this?

Upvote 0
Set up the swipe gesture, mine is left to right delete.

How, exactly does one go about this? Seems helpful.

I have purchased and used Touchdown for myself and my other users. I have yet to install it on the S3 since I haven't found any fault with the stock version and I love the home grown widgets that work with it. Touchdown has a LONG way to go in the widget department before they catch up with Touchwiz. I can say that they have the best customer service of any Andriod vendor that I have come across.

Upvote 0
All, I am in the same boat with the Droid RAZR. What's really making me nuts is that I can only seem to connect to Exchange with the default android Email client (might be a Moto app...not sure). I've tried Enhanced Mail, Touchdown, and a couple of others (all with defined Exchange support) and my corp server rejects them when it tries to register.

Anyone else seen this?

Are you sure you checked it to accept the certificate?

Upvote 0
Having serious and seriously annoying issues with native exchange app on my GS3. First of all, I'm connected to my work exchange server and had no issues with the GN and HTC OX previously.

My inbox randomly deletes all 1000 or so emails then proceeds to download all of the back right afterwards. WTF??? Anyone else seen this and any ideas how to stop it from happening? It seems to happen after a reboot which is rath inconvenient since I reboot about 2-8 times per week getting off and on planes.

Also I have issues with emails getting stuck indefinitely in my outbox and sometimes I don't realize for a couple days. This also happened with my galaxy nexus so I suspect it's an android issue.

Regardless the inbox purge and reload is killing my battery! Any help is appreciated!

Upvote 0
Thought I might jump back on here as I started this thread.
Have now been using Touchdown for a month or so. It's definitely the best non-stock exchange app I've found (unless anybody can still recommend better?!). Its widgets are terrible though, and the scroll jumping when reading longer emails is very annoying.
The main advantage with Touchdown over stock though is not having to lock the entire phone with a pin - our exchange policy forces pin lock on devices. Touchdown only required the pin when opening the app rather than locking the whole phone down.

Does anybody know if there's a workaround when using the stock email app to remove the force pin lock on the phone (you can do this on iphone with jailbreak apps). If this could be done I'd go back to the stock email app as overall it's better than Touchdown until Touchdown sort out their widgets etc!

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones