• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Firmware with Google Apps

hebnar

Lurker
Jan 24, 2011
Hi guys, I am new to the forum (just bought LePhone) and I have to say I like the phone very much. What I like less is Lenovos approach towards google apps and android market - this is a huge issue for me since I use my phone as a working tool and without synchronization with gmail and google calendars it is for me virtually useless :(. .

I have a couple of question just to make sure that I understand the sitiuation correctly. Thanks all veterans of Lephone for help :)... and sorry for my English (I am a Czech):

1) The most advanced firmware containing Google Apps is firmware 1.4.1 from allphone (beta 1.4.2 doesnt work for me, for some reason the phone shuts off randomly) - this firmware is built on LEOS 1.0 which means modified Android 1.6.

2) In order to be able to use applications for Android 2.2 (and multitouch) you can install the LEOS 2.0 beta BUT it is going to be without Google Apps.

3) There is no PURE fully functional android firmware that could override once and for all LEOS and for the time being it doesnt look like there will be one anytime soon (2.2 or 2.3).

4) The best solution for me is to stick with 1.4.1 till someone modifies LEOS 2.0 ROM and adds the support of Google Apps, ADW launcher etc. - this will probably be after the final official version of LEOS 2.0 is released (any ideas about the time frame?).

Thanks very much helping with all of your comments.

Jan

Jan,

The best option now is to install LeOS 2.0 beta and install manually the Google apps.

Our friend Nordream tested a procedure to install Google apps initially released for Pure Android 2.3 and it worked.

We discussed the matter on this topic:
http://androidforums.com/lenovo-lephone/254425-leos-2-0-official-announcement.html

Starting on post #19

I have Market, Gmail and Calendar working fine.

The LeOS 2.0 is also working very well, despite being "beta" is way better than any previous version.

Reactions: hebnar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones