• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best fitness App?

lwoods1226

Lurker
Jul 9, 2011
Hey all,

I got my phone just a month or two ago. I've dabbled with some apps but none that I've noticed do all that I want. I don't know if there IS an app that does everything I want but I figured this would be the place to ask. Here are some things I want in an app.

- Track calories (can also use a barcode scanner to put in calories)
- Fitness app to track fitness and calories burned. Not tracking your calories like a heart rate monitor but if I say I did 20 minutes of zumba, it might be able to say well that's 150 calories. Approximate.
- Maybe one that gives me some exercise ideas or goals for the day?
- Tracks water intake

Just a really well-rounded app. I used the Spark people app and it does much of that it just didn't appeal to me much. Thanks in advance for your help!

My girlfriend and I use RunKeeper when we go for runs/jogs/hikes.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fitnesskeeper.runkeeper.pro&feature=search_result

She uses CardioTrainer for tracking her other workouts but lately has used Noom (same developer as CardioTrainer - Worksmart Labs) to track her calories and her workout routines instead of CardioTrainer.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.wsl.noom&feature=search_result

I use JEFIT to track my bodybuilding/weight training workouts.

https://market.android.com/details?id=je.fit&feature=search_result

Upvote 0
I guess it depends on how complicated you want it to be. I looked at some of the cardio training programs and calorie recorders and found that they were a bit too complicated for me, especially looking up calories for every bit of food I ate and trying to figure out how many calories I was burning with each of my activities. Rather than inputing all that in/out caloric data, I just track the final results which is my daily weight .

Six months ago, I started using OnTrack to keep track of my daily blood pressure, weight and exercise (and occassionally my blood glucose). For the exercise, I just use a simple daily point system. I give myself 2 points if I go for a 30 minute walk, a 3 if I do my home weight routine (about 15 minutes) and 3 if I do a minimum 2 km run and adjust up or down from those starting points. Maximum points for one day is 10. I try for a minimum of 5 points per day, usually do 6 and have only done an 8 a few times. I weighed myself each day and kept a record on OnTrack. I found that OnTrack was a simple way to keep a record and to motivate me. It helped me to lose 30 pounds in six months. One tip: instead of drinking sugar soda pop (which I was addicted to before), I now drink plain soda water. Otherwise, my diet has been the same as before.

When I first started running, I did not even bother to time myself when I ran. I was just huffing and puffing around and just glad that I did not keel over at the end of each run. After a few months, as my fitness level increased, I became more motivated to track my performance. Recently, I added RunKeeper to track my mileage and times. Runkeeper has a GPS function which can record your route and give you an audio of your pace as you run. It has pushed me to run a bit faster.

Upvote 0
I have been using my wife's iphone for running. i use the runtastic app and now it works with Android. I have the 60beat RX that gets my Polar Heart rate onto my Motorola. So i've switched to the Android, loving it.

The App is great and you can get the 60beat RX for $40. Works great. Much better than just the heart rate monitor watch.

check it out

60beat

Upvote 0
I use "Cardiotrainer" for my exercising and it is dead on. It's real easy to use, just take sometime playing around with it. I use "Calorific" to keep track of calories. (These two have widgets too.) Its simple and easy to use. Also, I use "Fastfood Calorie" and "Resturant Nutrition" to look up nutrition for different types of specific foods. These work very well too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones