Best font for Captivate?

Last Updated:

1. tdrew

tdrew Member

I've seen lots of comments about the default font that comes on the Captivate, and many have said they are using 3rd party fonts as replacements. Which one does everyone seem to think is the best, for readability (is that even a word?)?

Thanks in advance!

2. ScaGin

ScaGin Well-Known Member

That's a hard question, depends on your taste. What I did was try several different fonts until I found one that went with my page design. And yes readability was a factor. I found that some were really too small.
  3. rrrrramos

rrrrramos Well-Known Member

I'm using the "Comforta" font and I like it a lot. Nice and clear, easy to read, and the big part (for me) is that the exclamation points don't look like I's or L's. I was using the popular "CaviarDreams" font and ran into the problem. 'Cool!!!!!' looked like someone REALLY liked using their L's haha.
  4. Miss Roxy

Miss Roxy Well-Known Member

It really depends on your taste, but I like Kabel ITC.
  5. Podsama

Podsama New Member

Helvetica Neue. Best purchase I ever made.

It's very readable, good kerning for all those font nerds out there.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate
  6. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

I use Helvetica Narrow CE Bold. Got it for free from the xda forums. It's pretty close to the iPhone font in readability.

7. Gipson

Gipson Well-Known Member

how do you load on fonts anyways? is there an app for that? :D
  8. Miss Roxy

Miss Roxy Well-Known Member

Settings> Sound And Display> Font Style.
  9. DT

DT Well-Known Member

You also use any TTF (True Type Font) and there are jillions (yes, JILLIONS :D ) of free ones available ( is a great resource).

It's slightly less "friendly" vs. buying a font through the market, but not terrible.
  10. chuckhubbert

chuckhubbert Member

Okay, I'll bite. Would you give us a hint as to how you do it? Thanks!
  11. randy_c

randy_c Well-Known Member

XDA got tons of free fonts
  12. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Oh no problem, I wasn't try to keep it secret! I actually PM'ed someone about it, let me repost that...

OK, this was my not-so-brief spew about fonts :D

Here's the deal with Android and fonts: there's basically a pre-defined set for the core OS (which is inherited by any app that doesn't declare it's own.

So there's a directory that has like 6 or 7 fonts specified. What all the font managers do is to replace those existing files with a different font file, and leave the names the same. Then you have to reboot (which is a drag) and the system loads the different font (using the standard name).

So what does all that mean? I have no idea. :D

I thought that might help to understand what's going on with the various font solutions.

You _can_ take any .TTF (just like Winders
    cwgannon and chuckhubbert like this.
  13. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

Just bumping this because I'm debating swapping up my fonts - I'm currently using Zegue (found on XDA).
  14. braj

braj Well-Known Member

I use Handel Gothic, maybe not the *most* readable for some but I really like it a lot. It is easy on my eyes.
  15. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member

somehow i bricked mine trying to swap out the font using the method over on xda. fortunately, I was within my 30 day return period
  16. Vissionary

Vissionary Active Member

17. shawtygurl4u

shawtygurl4u New Member

How do you apply the font? I tried downloading it and i cant appy it
  18. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

I like Syndor Flipfont
  19. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

Settings > Sound and Display > Font Style