1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Best Free and Fastest SMS App for Android?

1. pinappu

pinappu Member

Handscent vs Gosms vs Pansi sms vs Chomp sms....which one among these is the best sms app for android??? :confused:

Please give your opinions.

Here are some sources from where you can make or break your opinion:

1) Androidheadlines

2) Hubpages

3) Intellectuaapp

4) Techshout

Advertisement
  2. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

Virtually the same and a matter of personal opinion & style:
    ChompSMS
    Go SMS
    Hancent

I tried Pansi SMS and I thought it was cool until I noticed that I wasn't receiving texts until I removed that app. Then all the texts that I was not receiving came pouring in all at once. Maybe just a coincidence or a glitched install but I'll be staying away from that app.

As for the other ones, unless you want the popup notification, the OEM messaging app works just fine.
  3. rab1412000

rab1412000 Active Member

I tried pansi and it worked like a charm. I'd say it's the fastest and lightest on resources.

However I uninstalled it because I wasn't getting icon notifications for sms.
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

The best will be the one that suits you perfectly. Some people like Handcent, I dont. I prefer Go SMS, not because of the features (most of which I don't use) but because I like how it looks better (its cleaner without all the images). Fastest will also depend on the phone. One some phones handcent lags, on others it works faster than Go SMS. There are too many variables to say one is better than the other. Basically, the best SMS app for anyone is the one that has all the features they need, looks the way they want it, and runs fast on their particular phone.
    Crashdamage likes this.
  5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

The stock messenger, at least on my Samsung, puts your email address right at the top of the app. I don't really have any controversial sms, but don't like email addy showing.

I do have apps that are best used by sharing. Audubon Birds to another bird watcher in a group is one.

I can memorize email and phone numbers for at least an hour. Long enough to write it down. While not stealing info, could sign you up for spam. (I don't)

I figure if I can do this, so can someone else.
  6. artofmotion

artofmotion Member

7. Meshane83

Meshane83 Member

tried them all you mention and Go SMS has been the best by far!
  8. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

Handcent for me.
  9. Eric618

Eric618 Well-Known Member

I keep going back to Chomp.
  10. r4ven3

r4ven3 New Member

I've tried them all, but have settled on Pansi - it's fast and takes up less space on my phone's memory. I've never had any issues with it at all.

What surprises me is that there are really only 4 SMS apps worth downloading, and the OP mentioned them all. There's a keyboard app for almost every day of the year, but only 4 decent SMS apps.

Why is this?
  11. sanibel

sanibel Well-Known Member

Read the reviews on each, try each one for yourself and then make your own decision. It's like asking which gloves fit your hands the best? My personal opinion means very little, because it's a personal thing.
    I tried several SMS apps and then settled for Handcent. But it's my own gloves ;-)
  12. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

Have sinced switched to GO SMS.
  13. uumeshh

uumeshh Member

pansi has this nice inbox style option for those who do not like thread view. its very fast too..
  14. reekiesj

reekiesj New Member

Not GO SMS. Never GO SMS. Never a GO app again. GO Keyboard made my phone crash after last update. GO SMS slowed my phone to a crawl. Switched to Handcent and no problems after that. Uninstalled ALL GO apps, themes, skins etc.
  15. pinappu

pinappu Member

So here is a GO SMS hater...wonder how efficient your mobile is?;)
  16. androidblog24

androidblog24 New Member

i have used go sms its the best in my opinion
  17. kmf

kmf Well-Known Member

Handcent for me.
  18. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

So are these apps just for the messaging process itself or do they take the place of, say Verizon's, text/messaging plan (that has to be paid for) ?
    My wife heard that there are apps for free texting/messaging services and wants to dump our Verizon plan for a freebie. Is this the same thing?
  19. justtom

justtom Well-Known Member

Agree
  20. KaosStorm

KaosStorm Well-Known Member

This topic is about the former: apps that work with the standard messaging process. There are some apps that function as messaging apps, but use your data/WiFi and not your messaging plan, but that's a totally different ballgame.
    Parshooter likes this.
  21. rodawg71

rodawg71 Well-Known Member

Tried them all except for pansi (haven't heard of it till this thread) Chomp seemed a little "laggy" to me... Handcent was descent but was looking for something more "up to date". Found GoSMS and haven't looked back. Nice and smooth on my phone, nice themes, and great dev support. Like someone said earlier, it's a personal preference... Try them all and see which one suits YOUR NEEDS....
    Cheers
  22. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

GO SMS for me. I converted from Handcent.
  23. amandaleh

amandaleh New Member

It's called contacts, it integrates a contact app with, dialer and messaging, syncs with all your social networks, easy to understand - the icon is a penguin, and it is also known as contapps.
    But I think its the best I tried go sms, chomp, handcent, all the others and nothing was as good as contapps.
  24. SIH

SIH New Member

GoSMS/expandable has group feature for contacts and also manages the contacts in groups through expandable. However they forgot to have a search option for contacts. I have over 2000 contacts. I can not manage contacts in the groups through alphabetical scroll downs the thousands of contacts that I have. Looking for others.
    Handcent does not do group messages. Wants other applications to be installed.
  25. luda3455

luda3455 Member

Because everyone today already have this application, I prefer the WhatsAPP.