Best free 'find my phone' app?

Last Updated:

1. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im looking for he best free find my phone app out here.

All that i am looking for is one that will show me the gps location of my phone and works well.

I.e. find my phone, wavesecure, android finder

Advertisement
  2. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

I used WaveSecure for a few weeks until one morning I woke up and it had locked my phone for no apparent reason. Of course I had forgotten my pin number and was unable to unlock the phone from the website because it said it was unlocked. I had to wait until I could get my pin from my buddy. Never could figure out why it had locked it so i ultimately uninstalled it.

3. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

yzingerr likes this.
  4. Hola91

Hola91 Well-Known Member

Where's My Droid. It's free and simple. Just send a text message from another phone and it will ring for a predetermined amount of time, even if on silent. Send a different text with the keyword(s) and it will send back the GPS location. Just can't track it from a computer, as far as I know.

5. yzingerr

How does it seem to work, good?

6. Hola91

Hola91 Well-Known Member

I haven't had any issues with it so far and have had since I got my Droid back during launch week. Again, it's very simple to use. I tested it and it worked and every once in a while someone will send me a text message with my key word in it and it will start ringing and say "Phone Located" on the screen. And as long as your GPS gets a signal it will locate it for you. The dev keeps it updated as well. Just my two cents. I haven't tried any other apps of this sort but really no need for me to as this app is enough for me. There is a free version and a Donate version for a dollar and they are identical. Download it and try it out. If you don't like it then I am sure one of the others posted here will work for you.

7. cruud

cruud Well-Known Member

I'm using mobile defense. It works well, runs hidden so it's harder for a thief to uninstall.

yzingerr likes this.
  8. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

9. Hola91

Hola91 Well-Known Member

^^^^ Agreed. I always keep my phone locked though. If he can figure out my unlock pattern (good luck with that one) and have enough mindset to find it and uninstall it, then he can keep it lol.

10. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

I use mobile defense, which has a nice web-based interface that locates your phone on google maps. It's more of a full security program than where's my droid, as you can remotely lock the phone and it hides itself from the app list so that someone just picking up the phone wouldn't know that it's there. Like all of these programs, it can only use GPS if gps receiver is active, (but as a neat advanced feature, if your phone is rooted and you can use adb, it can be installed in such a way that it remotely turns on GPS when it texts your phone.)

yzingerr likes this.
  11. yzingerr

Instamapper seems to be than i want, plus it seems like it would eat batteries!

12. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

I use Lookout. It locates on computer map and has an alarm sound. I also have Wheres My Droid so I can use a cellphone to find it. My GPS is always ON,it does not RUN unless you have an app RUNNING that uses gps.

13. Tymanthius

Tymanthius Well-Known Member

I use Mobile Defense. I've rooted, and made it a system app so that even if someone steals it and turns the gps off, repeatedly, MD will turn the gps back on.

As I usually keep my gps off, I also like that feature.

It's nearly completely invisible if you blacklist the MD texts.

14. yzingerr

I like mobile defense, but im sure they'll be charging for its service soon as they say something to the effect of "as of right now the service is free"

15. Tymanthius

They also state that the services that are free now will remain free. As that's what I care about, I'm good. :D

16. yzingerr

Touche

17. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

WaveSecure here - I have tried a few others, but WS is free for life account through Mar 31, and they are making it better and better with every update.

18. Tymanthius

I have WS, but don't actually use it. I don't much like thier website, and when I sent them an email about remote gps activation,they said it can't be done. Not even a hint about making it a system app.

So they lost me. Oh well.

Plusthere were some issues with txt msg charges I heard. I never checked.

19. yzingerr

Supposedly they remedied those charges