• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best, Free Ruler App

There's one called simply "Ruler" (by Babak Mozaffari) that puts a straight ruler on the screen, lets you reverse the colors (white on black), adds a backlight if you're trying to trace something, or lets you put a circle (you specify the diameter) on the screen. There's even a calibration mode so you can be sure the one on your screen is fairly accurate, and a metric mode.

It's free and it works well.

Reactions: SlowRain
Upvote 0
When I looked at them, I chose [Edit: correct name Advanced Ruler] from Ying Wen Technologies--features include sliding cursors, calibration of scale on screen and calibration to edges of phone (or phone with case), built-in database for sizes of screens on lots of common phones so you don't have to calibrate to be up and running, circle size tool, cm or inch scales, and it looks nice, like an engraved metal ruler, for whatever that is worth.

Note that there are also some camera-based apps that triangulate using the angle sensor to measure distances to far-away objects, or heights of them, using your height (which you calibrate) as a basis. Advanced ruler pro ($2.99) adds that feature but there also also free apps that do that--I have "smart measure".

While you are equipping your phone with that stuff, consider a bubble level as well. I like both "bubble" by ben zibble and "bubble level" by antoine vianey installed--each have features the other doesn't have.

Upvote 0
I found this thread because I needed a working ruler app. What I did was typing "ruler" in Google Play and here are my thoughts for the first results:
1. Smart Ruler by Smart Tools co. - works great, has ads, has payed version, weird design
2. Ruler App by Nikola Kosev - works great, has ads and no payed version, modern design
3. Ruler Lite by Androb - do NOT work on my device, got annoying ads and really low rating

So I can conclude that first two apps are OK. You can find other good rulers in the search results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones