1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Best GPS Back-tracker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. Glucklichste

Glucklichste Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I live in Alaska, and I often hike in the woods (the dogs love it!). There are a few places where it's weirdly easy to get lost, far away enough from anything that would help you know your orientation/direction.

I am new to Android (just got a Samsung Captivate), but so far I'm seeing parking type applications, that don't necessarily backtrack.

Is there any app that would really trace your same route backwards?

Straight line back to a starting point isn't practical in these situations! I've had dedicated GPS units that are rubbish when it comes to this, but I figure ... why not search/ask, if my phone could do this I'd be beyond thrilled.

Advertisement
  2. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Well-Known Member

The best one I've used for hiking the Mountains in Utah is Backpacker GPS Trails. You can find it in the Appmarket for $9.99 but I think they have a lite version to try first.

3. picko

picko Active Member

There's My Tracks which is free and there's Maverick both record your tracks so you can retrace your route.

4. Glucklichste

Thanks to both of you! I need to get better at searching for apps.

5. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

If you are hiking in a remote area, you are better off with a standalone GPS, one that has the maps built in, et cetera.

6. Glucklichste

Obviously, but I'm not going as remote as you may think. It's just so easy to get far enough into woods that you could get turned around - has happened to friends/family, they go out for "an hour" and five hours later come home exhausted and flustered, LOL. I just figured if there's an app that can really trace your path, I'd try it and go ahead and use it when hiking.

7. SaleenFiend

SaleenFiend Well-Known Member

These products can also be marketed as a Jealous Boyfriend's tool.

8. Spackle

Spackle New Member

There's also Back Country Navigator (BC Nav) which allows you to download the maps into your phone. It supports MyTopo, USGS Topo, USGS Aerial photos (colr and B&W) plus more. It is $9.95 in the marketplace. This app replaces all of my standalone hiking/hunting and backwoods GPSes.

My Tracks from Google may be all you need.

9. Glucklichste

Thank you! I think the logical step is for me to test out My Tracks first, but I really appreciate the other option just in case. And actually, I know someone who needs that ASAP, so I'm happy to get to pass the info along. ;)

10. alllenmobis

alllenmobis New Member

Hi

Well! I heard from one of my friends about a gps/path tracking app of Mobistealth.com that tracks and traces your same route backwards. She also loves hiking, says that this app sounds good to her. I have had also been with it for some months. It is a smart app that tracks your route and gps locations. It does not cost too much. I am pretty sure you can have it just in few bucks.

Let me know if you need more info''

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.