Best Graphics Cards Worth Getting

Last Updated:

1. Mehta23

Mehta23 Well-Known Member

I have a similar thread, but this question is solely about graphics cards.

ATM I have a ~

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I'm using an EVGA GTX 570 HD, it's run everything at very good framerates and high/ultra graphics. Skyrim, SC2, GW2, no stutter, no lag. Awesome card.
  3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I'm currently running 2 x 5770's in Xfire, they run OC'd a little better than a stock 560, right now.

However the 560 is an awesome card, especially if you can OC that sucka, i would suggest to get that, for the price, then just OC it up some, hopefully you have good airflow in your case :D
  4. Mehta23

Some reviews of that say it overheats alot. The 660Ti is £10 more than a 570 and comes with Bl2
  5. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

They probably don't have it ventilated well enough. It's a BIG card.
  6. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Well-Known Member

I have the XFX Radeon 7950 Dual Dissipation and it runs Crysis etc as sweet as a nut.
  7. Mehta23

I have pm'd a few guys about this (sorry!) but I've got time now is so I might as well post it...

Story so far :

I was gonna get a Asus 560ti to play all my games, but decided for £50 more, I could get a 570 which should last longer.

Then I found my msi 660Ti for the same price as the 570 but with BL2. However, I recently read that msi modified the pwm to take way to much voltage which could shorten its life. I have decided to return it asap.

Now I still need to get a gpu, and currently looking at a evga 660Ti for £250 or a 670 £300 (both with borderlands) or 670 ftw for £330, all from PC World.
    Question is : would a 670 be overkill and a waste of money?
  8. Ballymoss

Buying anything from PC World is a waste of money. Here is a Gainward GTX 670 on ebay from the reputable dealer Scan Computers for
  9. Mehta23

I assume it's because of the customer service??

I have heard that scan's is good , but hopefully I won't have any problems.

Plus I can get a 10% discount at PC World.
  10. Ballymoss

Lolz I could write a book on PC worlds "customer service". Like when they repeatedly refused to repair my PC saying " I didn't have a cover plan" then when my bank statement came in and
  11. Mehta23

I think I'll get it from Scan ? or Amazon....

Anyway , turns out I was charged for the extra 660Ti ebuyer sent me , so I am not
  12. Mehta23

Or, I could get the monitor and run on integrated graphics for now...

Or just get both...
  13. Mehta23

Where are some good places to pick up a GPU, that has good customer service if I need to RMA.

So far I've seen Scan, - Amazon, and CcL online.

Obviously not PC World.
  14. Ballymoss

Novatech are a good supplier and if you go to ebay abd search for "novatechltd" they have a department which sells "refurbished" gear though I think the refurbishment just amounts to damaged packaging. I have bought lots of gear from them and it is always perfect. If you go to ebay and search for "XFX 7950" a firm called Ballicom has one for just
    Mehta23 likes this.
  15. Mehta23

I've found a 670 ftw on scan for £303...

Should I be throwing money at my screen, or continuing my original plan of buying other parts first and seeing what happens...?
  16. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. It really depends on how important the GPU is to you (appearance and FPS and what you play).

re: 670, I don't know if that's a good deal or not (American here, don't know UK pricing)
  17. Mehta23

Question was whether
  18. Ballymoss

The reason it is much more over here is that we pay heavy tax including VAT at 20%. I would guess our import duty is higher too.
    Mehta23 likes this.
  19. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

That'd be my guess. US prices do not include tax(es).

Send Gort over here to pick one up. :D
  20. Mehta23

I'll reply in this thread, but is a 670 really not worth it over a 660?

Would be evga 670 FTW at £300 vs evga( I think) 660 Ti at £225.

There's also a 660Ti ftw with extra fans for 240.
  21. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

I recanted in the other thread; the 670 is closer to the 680 than the 570 was to the 580.

Then again, the 680 really isn't that much more than the 670 and a 7% difference in performance** can mean the difference between 60 FPS and 30 FPS (<60 FPS = 30 FPS w/vsynch, which is annoying to run without) on games that you play.

I don't like the reference cooler (noisy, less effective, far more difficult to clean); I like Gigabyte's 3-fan setup (or 2 for the x60).

**That 7% was with unoptimized, beta drivers around Kepler's release; there have been many performance increases from driver updates since, likely making the 670 and 680 more divergent.
  22. Mehta23

You didn't really answer my question....
    There's a 670 FTW signature with fans not a blower for £310

There's 660Ti at £225 and a signature version for £240
  23. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Looking on the passmark benchmark list, the 670 is second with 5,236 and the 660Ti is sixth with 4,696, and the price difference is like 50 dollars, i am assuming the 660Ti could probably get the job done for what you are looking for, but if you want to ultimately future proof, like get 2+ years out of this card then go for the 670.

Reference: PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmarks