• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best hardware customer support?

uRabbit

Jan 8, 2011
Apple is known for their superb technical support, repair and replacement. I've had three iPhones and only paid for one. One took a swim in the toilet and was showing the moisture indicators. One was dropped and the display cable clearly came disconnected. Both times, Apple replaced my iPhone, despite their repair/replacement policy clearly stating that they do not work with these types of damages.

Can this sort of thing be said for any of the Android hardware manufacturers?

So, you're saying Apple may be the only one that goes above and beyond?

As for insurance, you mean thru the carrier? What is that, like, $6/mo with AT&T I think? Not bad if it actually covers all that. I suppose there's also Best Buy's Black Tie Protection program, if you buy there.

Edit: Can't even find the insurance on AT&T's web site.

Upvote 0
Apple is known for their superb technical support, repair and replacement. I've had three iPhones and only paid for one. One took a swim in the toilet and was showing the moisture indicators. One was dropped and the display cable clearly came disconnected. Both times, Apple replaced my iPhone, despite their repair/replacement policy clearly stating that they do not work with these types of damages.

I'm calling BS. I've heard horror stories of how Apple makes you come out of pocket for even the simplest issues.

Your story is not in alignment with common practice.

Upvote 0
It's happened. I could try to dig up old topics from other forums and old emails pertaining to the incidents if you'd like. Don't be mad that my $226 3GS has more than paid for itself...

Anyways, anyone out there got a good story about phone replacement?

I don't buy-in to carrier insurance because most of the time, certain damages are not covered, or there may be deductibles, etc., etc. Also, I've heard horrible things about Black Tie.

P.S. Apple may have replaced my phone for me because they could repair it and use it to replace phones for others. I don't know. I do know that my phone looks flawless aesthetically because of my Otterbox Defender case.

Upvote 0
I'm calling BS. I've heard horror stories of how Apple makes you come out of pocket for even the simplest issues.

Your story is not in alignment with common practice.

I've owned a lot of Android phones and some iPhones, and I can attest that I've had great luck with Apple's customer service. They've gone above and beyond for me. I haven't had a lot of situations to compare other handset manufacturers with Apple's but I haven't had any of those horror stories, luckily.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I dont get it..how do so many people drop their phones in the damn toliet...?

Quite easily actually. One drops trousers to have a shit...pulls trousers back up...phone falls out of pocket.....plop!!!! ... and if it's a crouch-type/hole-in-the-floor WC, the phone is guaranteed to get dunked if dropped.

I know one guy who managed to do this with his Blackberry Storm, despite the cost of the phone, there was no way he wanted to put his hand down the disgusting shitty hole to retrieve it.

Or more to the point - why do people take their phones to toilet in the first place? :rolleyes:

Well you're not going to leave that expensive HTC Evo, Samsung Galaxy or iPhone 4 out in the bar, nightclub or restaurant are you? Someone might steal it. :p

Upvote 0
I work in mobile retail. Here, Apple charge £169.99 to exchange an iPhone, they do not get fixed. This is judged indiscriminately of the fault. The device could have a single scratch, or be broken clean in half.

Good deal.

From my two years experience, I would actually say HTC, followed closly by Samsung. To be fair to them, Nokia did exchange my overclocked N900 without question. But I've also seen them give totally bull excuses for not repairing some customers handsets, so go figure.

I think 99% of the time, its actually down to the person you deal with, and how strictly they will adhere to company policy.

Reactions: uRabbit
Upvote 0
Thanks, skunkonkrunk. Finally, a reply that pertains to the topic. :)

As for the nonbelievers; I'm not rich. There's no way I could afford to buy three 3GS's, especially when two of those would be at full price. And why lie? I have my tiffs with Apple and am by no means a fanboy, so I've no reason to blindly boast about Apple. Especially when I'm looking to move to Android...

Upvote 0

As stated multiple times even Apple's own warranty doesn't cover these items. Don't expect any manufacturer or carrier to honor warranty claims for this sort of damage unless you're looking for disappointment. Such items are covered by insurance, not warranty. Warranty is for manufacturing defects. Damage caused by the user is not a manufacturing defect.

We can endlessly debate why Apple covered you but it really doesn't matter -- it was fluke in all cases and not standard practice even though the odds have apparently strongly favored you on more than one occasion. Did you disclose the nature of the damage or leave it up to them to determine? If not, the person handling your cases may have overlooked (intentionally or unintentionally) the cause of the damage.

In any case, most manufacturers handle warranty claims through the carrier so it's really a question of carrier warranty support.

As for insurance, you mean thru the carrier? What is that, like, $6/mo with AT&T I think?
The carrier is one option. As for the cost, check directly with the insurance provider you're looking into. There's not a fixed cost for all insurance options out there.

Don't overlook the deductible (if applicable).

I don't buy-in to carrier insurance because most of the time, certain damages are not covered, or there may be deductibles, etc., etc. Also, I've heard horrible things about Black Tie.
Again, getting a warranty replacement for damage that you caused isn't guaranteed no matter who the manufacturer is. If you're worried about what is or isn't covered or the deductible then read up on the insurance you're looking into. Each provider can be different.

I dont get it..how do so many people drop their phones in the damn toliet...?
Why does it matter? Are you trying to reproduce this yourself? Accidents happen.

Reactions: uRabbit
Upvote 0
Like mostly everyone else has stated on here your not going to find a lot of instances where the manufacturer replaced for anything involving physical damage (or water damage same thing). Now I work for sprint and have at&t as my phone carrier and I can tell you that both carriers will not replace for anytype of physical damage. Again thats why the carriers offer insurance. Now I know with sprint's TEP they will replace (through a third party company) for water damage but you have to pay a deductable. And how much that is going to be depends on what model phone you have (smart phones=higher deductable). With at&t they have a flat deductable of $125 if you need to replace your phone. I'm sure verizon has almost the same kind of policy.

Upvote 0
My colleague dropped his iPad and the screen cracked. When he took it to the Apple store, they said that since this was his first time damaging his iPad, they replaced it for him free of charge. So yeah, I've heard great stories of Apple customer service and I've also heard horror stories as well.

Such items are covered by insurance, not warranty. Warranty is for manufacturing defects. Damage caused by the user is not a manufacturing defect.
That pretty much said it all :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones