• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Best head unit (car stereo) for Droid phone?

I picked up this one:

Sony Xplod MEX-BT2800 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

p158BT2800-f_mt.jpeg

I am happy with it. No problems with Bluetooth, all music controls work from the faceplate... Works great!

Upvote 0
I posted this thread awhile back.

dx-car-headunit-bluetooth

Course nobody responded. But I have the JVC dual DIN unit. It works great. During the 2.2 update I had to wipe the phone and later clear out the Headunits memory for BT devices.

But after that it works great.. meanwhile BT streaming works as well, tunes or pandora. I don't use it but I tried it. next thing I keep meaning to try. USB cable with phone set to mass storage.

However it has 2 ports, and I have the rear port setup with a 16gb memory stick. Works great and reads fast and it stays in the glove box. You would never know it was there.

Upvote 0
1091-01.jpg

I use a chinese Eonon Double Din unit. $200 on ebay, comes with DVD playback, MP3, GPS, TV, Bluetooth, 2 SD card slots, etc etc etc. The only thing I can think of that it does not have is a built in computer. Its an ok unit, its not very intuitive and the screen is no where near the quality of the Dx but it links upto my phone and plays Radiotime and Pandora for me. GPS works ok but takes forever to input addresses unlike the Dx. I was using the GPS on it before I built my Droid x case with vehicle mount. Now I use it because the GPS gives live traffic reports.

Upvote 0
I have never heard of that eonon before and now I know why. Sadly I bet money its built along side a Pioneer or something.

Speaking of which, I have use some of the pioneer BT units (DVD, touchscreen) they work pretty well too. I highly suggest getting something designed in the last 1 year or 2 at most. Not getting a bargain basement clearance unit. If you are going for BT comparability, simply because there have been changes to the BT functionality over the last 2 years.

Like I said before I liked the JVC approach because they rig it so you can remove the BT module when you want to. And the rear USB port kicks azz.

Upvote 0
Well my car is an 02 so we wanted that authentic look thats why we went for it. It was not easy to fit, my boyfriend had to cut out the dash slightly so that it would work and there is a bit of gap at the sides. Its a Toyota so the double din is not to US standards. Anyway, it looks completely stock, the nav unit is frustrating but thats just the free chinese nav unit anyway. I could install any NAV software that supports Windows CE, but thats too much bother anyway now that I got a phone that will do the same thing.

My unit is $300 brand new, the closest name brand unit is $600 with those features. You have to ask is this $600 unit twice as nice? To me the answer is no.

Upvote 0
Stick with an iPod for playing music in your vehicle. Smartphones, as good as they are, simply don't amplify your music enough to sound decent through components (even with a decent music player like PowerAmp). With an iPod, you can buy a head unit that is iPod ready, meaning there is a proprietary hook up and not connection via auxiliary cable. There is no proprietary hook ups for any smartphone. The advantage of this iPod ready connection is that there is better "lossless" sound coming through your speakers. Generally speaking, compressed audio such as mp3 is already a lossy format, so you should seek to minimize that loss by sticking with an iPod. The sound is noticeably better.

Upvote 0
Stick with an iPod for playing music in your vehicle. Smartphones, as good as they are, simply don't amplify your music enough to sound decent through components (even with a decent music player like PowerAmp). With an iPod, you can buy a head unit that is iPod ready, meaning there is a proprietary hook up and not connection via auxiliary cable. There is no proprietary hook ups for any smartphone. The advantage of this iPod ready connection is that there is better "lossless" sound coming through your speakers. Generally speaking, compressed audio such as mp3 is already a lossy format, so you should seek to minimize that loss by sticking with an iPod. The sound is noticeably better.
I disagree i stopped using my Ipod because of the board on PowerAMP.....i notice much better output from my dX on PowerAMP...which is by far the best music app ive found

Reactions: ModusPwnd
Upvote 0
Hi,
I purchased the single din parrot head unit RKI8400 which has radio and digitial media (no old school optical support) into a Skoda Fabia.

I use my android phone for directions (google nav), music (spotify), phone calls as well as reading text messages to me as I drive along. Now the Parrot provides 1 features which is not available in the factory fitted Sony in my S-Max and that is auto switching to the bluetooth device when audio plays.

So for example: I am listening to a particular radio station, MP3 on sd-card/usb stick or even an old iPod and the phone wants to give directions or read a text to me. When the phone starts sending audio the parrot unit switches over automatically to the bluetooth audio and afterwards switches back.

So I can have the music nice and loud and not miss a turning or message not just calls.

If other units listed here do this please let me know I think its an overlooked features which can turn your phone into a great car companion.

Upvote 0
I went different way...kept the Honda factory audio unit (integrated with the climate control), got a GTA car kit, plugged into the AUX connector on the bottom of the audio unit. The GTA unit has both an iPod/Phone connector and a 3.5mm jack connector. I use the Neutron Music Player, and the sound of the music (I compress at higher rates, around 180-210 kpbs) sound spretty good to me in the car through the headphone jack out.

Upvote 0
Kenwood is one of the leading manufacturers of car audio equipment and they have earned a great reputation for making reliable and very good functioning car touch screen stereo systems. I am using Kenwood DDX70 .
It is an excellent piece of car audio equipment. The quality of this product starts with the big 7-inch crystal clear touch screen display it features. This is larger than most of the units we reviewed here. It also acts as an am/fm Bluetooth receiver and it can receive CDs and dvds too.

Upvote 0
I use a Sony MX-5100BT in my Honda Civic and it works quite nicely. I also use OBD2 (BT) sensor with Torque Pro, which causes the car to verbally alert me to error codes and system malfunctions over the stereo in real time.

Sony MEXN5100BT Car Stereo Receiver with Bluetooth, NFC and App Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SCS2622/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_vWDpzbS792EA6

Reactions: droidx1963
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones