• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Homemade Eris Dock CONTEST

0316101236.jpg

0316101236a.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice design Zerovertex! :D I love the sleek and minimalist style of the Altoid container! I'm sooo going to steal your idea...just need to go and buy an Altoid package XD

Thanks. Also going to modify it to mount in the car. Remember to get a bit of foam padding as the Altoid tin is deeper than the Eris. This helps it stay snug in the tin. I used a Dremel rotary tool to cut the tin.

Upvote 0
Love the wood work skillz!
Thanks!

LOVE the design, but is it stable? Kinda looks like the Eris might be able to slip to the right/left and possibly fall out of the cradle. Maybe a cross beam with chiseled out box just big enough for the charger would be more stable...although it might detract from the overall look a bit
Like this, had this on other variations. My eris has the silicone skin and it grips very well, very stable. I designed it to fit laying down as most of the time its on my desk just for texts (seems to be the only way to talk to the kids) I like the wide view to type.
I'm not in this for any "prize" (caddyman) I was just looking for a way to be able to hear the thing ring (seems all Smaaart phones have the speaker on the bottom). I might make more to give to clients as gifts, who knows i might change it as I go.

Attachments

• 2010_03160004.JPG
    2010_03160004.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
Bump... Poll?

Just thinking about this this morning. I'm still not seeing any attractive designer type holders. The wood thing is interesting but kind of rustic and not something I could use in a modern home. The CD and Altoid thing is ingenious but also not something I could get away with on a glass nightstand. I guess we're all left brained, which is probably the reason we're on this forum and not on a Photoshop site. Still hoping for a nice, simple Lucite holder with two, small vertical ridges on the side to hold it upright and two horizontal ones below for landscape mode. A good angle and solid, but not too large, base.

Upvote 0
I made this the other day and wasn't able to take pictures until today. It also took me forever to figure out how to get pictures on here. Yes it is another floppy disk stand. This was disk 1 or 3 for an NT Server install, lol. I bent the metal slider out to hold the phone. I wrapped tape around it to soften the edges. I then bent two paper clips and taped them to the back to work as a stand for the device. I am planning on using glue on those. The slot for the floppy works pretty good for running the usb cable up to charge phone when in portrait mode. Also sorry for the fuzzy shots.

xgeorgex-albums-standpics-picture840-front.jpg

xgeorgex-albums-standpics-picture841-side.jpg

Upvote 0
Glad to see the minor extension on the deadline because I got really industrious this morning.....
Please make this my official entry... if that's okay with everyone.

Front with lid open
IMAG0013.jpg

All closed up...
IMAG0008.jpg

Back with lid open
IMAG0004.jpg

Back with lid open from opposite side
IMAG0003.jpg

Lid closed with back prop out
IMAG0002.jpg

And for my finale.....
Landscape mode... I took the back prop off and turned the lid around...
IMAG0014.jpg

And mounted in the car with some tape to the dash, will upgrade to velcro later.
IMAG0015.jpg

It fits nicely and with the charger plugged in it holds very tight.

Edit: My wife stopped by the office with her Eris, so I took the opportunity to snap some pics with the phone on the dock....

Upright with lid open...
IMAG0040.jpg

Upright with lid closed...
IMAG0041.jpg

Landscape...
IMAG0042.jpg

Landscape, other side...
IMAG0043.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones