• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best ICS Rom for DHD?

bjblackmore

Lurker
Oct 29, 2010
Hi,

With the news today that HTC won't be releasing an official Desire HD update, I've decided it's time to root & install a custom ROM.

I already rum CM7 on my Nexus One, but want to try an ICS ROM on my DHD. But I wanted to know which is currently the best, which has the most working features? I was going to try ;Back to the Futureal' ROM, but apparently the Camera & wi-fi hotspots aren't working yet.

Which custom ICS ROM has the most working features, and the best version of sense UI (I quite like sense, the lock screen is quite need).

Thanks

Ben

Unfortunately as HTC now won't release the ICS kernel source (as there is no 4.0 update coming) it will be quite tricky to have a properly working camera/video recording. However there are some AOSP/AOKP ROMs that have them working, albeit a bit buggy.

For the most amount of working features, I would recommend IceColdSandwich , which is an AOKP ROM and works pretty well. I think the only thing wrong with it is that you can only record in 480p, and there are probably quite a few bugs still left to fix, but overall it is definitely worth a try.

The only Sense based ICS ROM I tried was Primo , and it didn't work amazingly well but good enough for day to day use (no camera at all though)

Edit [24/07]: Looks like the Virtuous team have released a full Sense 4 ROM with a (sort of) working camera -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1792074

Lots of bugs in the list but still definitely worth a try I reckon

Upvote 0
I guess we should start looking at which ones are stable now, and which ones are still in development.

Most recommend Ice Cold Sandwich, latest release is 8.4 which is also the last release (HD video still not working and some SMS issues). The developer is working on JB, but the the HTC One X I think.

But was thinking it might be best to support one still in development. I personally am hoping for a Desire/Incredible S port.

PHARANOID ANDROID was last updated on July 9, so I think it might still be development. Same with CM9, ICESenseV and VIRTUOUS INFINITY still appears to be in development.

PRIMO-S and BLACKOUT ICS were last released in May 2012.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones