1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Best IM program? Most like BBM?

Last Updated:

1. gocardinals

gocardinals Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What does everyone use for instant messenger? The one thing I really miss from Blackberry is BBM. I've tried Google Talk, and it's OK.
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Ecks

Ecks Well-Known Member

I use GTalk however it only works with your google contacts and I don't have many who are online with gtalk. I also use AIM occasionally, but again your friends have to be signed into AIM to chat. Honestly the best IM for Inc seems to be the default text messaging application as it keeps a running record of your conversations. You can text people without them having to be "online" because everyone's phone receives text messages.

I can see where BBM is nice since everyone with a Blackberry is also running BBM. Again though, everyone regardless of phone type runs text messaging.

3. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

I never understood BBM... and I had a blackberry for over 5 years.. Why would I want to restrict myself to just BB users... Anyways.. I use the official AIM and MSN Talk apps for IM. Work very well. Mainly just text everyone tho. I dont know many people without an unlimited text plan.

4. b1gg134

b1gg134 Well-Known Member

I do not miss BBM at all. Only others with BB's could use it so text messaging is a better option.

Sure BBM used data and not text but 95% of the people I know have unlimited texts and only like 50% have smart phones.

Having had a lot of BB's in the last 5 years I cannot truly say there is anything I miss from the BB. There is not a single thing it did better.

5. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

fring or ebuddy are my favorites... fring can skype call

6. gocardinals

gocardinals Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone. I only had two contacts on BBM - my wife and a good friend - but I loved it. It was more real time, and you could actually see when the other person was typing.
    And I do miss my Blackberry. While it could be buggy, it just seems to be better integrated than the Inc.

7. wiretap

wiretap Well-Known Member

Meebo.

8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I use meeboIM. Keeps all your accounts in one place and even does Facebook IM.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk Pro.

9. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Well-Known Member

BBM was great until they updated where ur texts stayed in the same window. After that i hardly used it. Handsent (sp?) Is pretty sweet, other than not sending mms.

10. TXSooner

TXSooner Well-Known Member

How could you not like the threaded SMS? Thats what almost all phones do, including the Incredible. It is way more organized.

11. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member

PMessenger is the same idea as bbm, you get a pin number ect. Its also available for like all smartphones including blackberries. I dont use it, I just know about it. I use text messaging haha..I have a blackberry too tho, so I use bbm there.

12. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

Last time I tried meebo it drained 25% of my battery in an hour, the only account I had was Yahoo. Is it better now?

I have eBuddy, it's alright, but it doesn't show me when people are idle which is a bit of a downer.

13. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

There are no apps that compare to BB messenger, g talk is about the best as you can at least swipe sideways to other conversations like on a BB.

14. msuguy71

msuguy71 Member

I use Meebo also. Works well. I have not notice a huge battery drain while using it.

15. mik0r

mik0r Well-Known Member

I think gtalk is the best bbm messanger replacemnt... anyone with an android phone has it. It also seems to use very little data and battery so you can keep it on 24/7 without a problem. Meebo IM is also a good im app for aim, msn, and yahoo. But it seems to drain the battery a lot quicker if you leave it on. GTALK FTW!

16. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member

I truly wish (and I've posted before in other messenger threads) that it were possible to import my Facebook chat into Google Talk. I love how Gtalk is integrated with our Incredibles BUT I only TRULY chat with people that I have on Facebook. SINCE there is no Facebook chat app (worth it's salt) in the market, I wish Gtalk would integrate with them.

I know there are issues between Facebook and Google and that Hell will likely freeze over before Facebook allows Google, err Android to have access to their info. I have done quite a bit of research on how to import Facebook friends to Gtalk, frankly, I'm not that smart. I've tried but to no avail.

I say all of this to say, AIM is the closest thing to a Facebook chat app out there right now. It does drain the battery but not nearly as much as Meebo (IMHO). It also has bigger names. I find that Meebo's names are way too small for my fingers. I tried importing my Facebook friends to AIM and then my AIM friends to Gtalk as a work around, nah babba nah that doesn't work.

Can anyone else help with this?

17. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Meebo does facebook chat, gtalk, yahoo, aim..... I haven't noted a battery drain.

To use fscebook you have to go to meebo.com to get permission set up.

I think there is an app that is like bbm but your friends would have to sign up for it.

18. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Duplicate deleted

19. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Well-Known Member

I use Skype Mobile and Meebo...

Meebo consolidates all my AIM, MSN and Yahoo Messenger IM accounts together...

Great app...

20. jayefef

jayefef Well-Known Member

The most like BBM is GTalk. It works well. I never used BBM but have seen it and heard others rave about it. I really think that Gtalk resembles it in that not everyone has it anyway.

The thing that makes it better IMO is that with GTalk I can chat with someone from my phone to someone using their Gmail in a browser and vice versa.

21. Lw00d

Lw00d Well-Known Member

i like to use ebuddy.. i had meboo and IM+ but they aways disconnect you.

22. Akg2016

Akg2016 Member

What do guys recommend?
    ebuddy or Meebo?
    I've noticed a serious battery drain with Meebo also.

23. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

ebuddy >>>>> meebo.

I used meebo for a long time and I didn't know what I was missing.

ebuddy has a better interface, better battery management, and NEVER disconnects.

Definitely ebuddy.

24. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

I use Google Talk, it seems to be the closest that I've found since it by default automatically runs.

25. JohnShepherd

JohnShepherd Well-Known Member

PingChat :)

Or Meebo for those friends who don't have PingChat. I converted most of my friends to PingChat, even the BBM guys...