best kernel for battery life?

Last Updated:

1. BAC5.2

BAC5.2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I can't seem to get more than a few hours of use out of my BBv.04 rooted droid. Is there a better kernel for battery life (I've read about Chevy's LV, ULV, SULV kernels)?

I was wondering about battery life with domrthing in the 1ghz range that is still completely stable.

I already have setCPU. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Im not sure what kernel i have but I had pete's clean version of Froyo then BBv4 and my battery has been downright amazing. I dont have SetCPU or anything though.

3. swampgeek

swampgeek Member

Chevy has some great kernels, my phone works great with his ulv kernels. That being said your phone may not like them, or could run great like mine.

Kernels do have varying impact on your battery life, things like WiFi, screen brightness, amount of widgets, apps and widgets that sync all play a huge role in your battery life. The built in battery info as well as apps lke juice plotter can give you insight into what is eating your battery.

4. cruud

cruud Well-Known Member

I'm using Chevy 1.1 ULV, been getting 15 hours with gps turned on.

5. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

A few hours of use? That's not normal. Usually weather apps that constantly track GPS and wifi always searching will drain battery life. I like chevy's ultra low voltage running at 700. Seems to be a fair performance/battery compromise.

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Whats the best kernel for battery life?

It could be any of the following P3Droid, Bekit, ChevyNo1, and JDLFG

My point is that there is no best kernel. You gotta test them out and see what works best for you. For me its JDLFG for you it could be any of the above

7. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Actually it is pretty well known that OMJ uses a secert kernel that he got form the CIA...

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

yea not that I wanna brag but my droid runs at 10.7ghz

9. Diver88

Diver88 Active Member

my droid loves P3Droids kernels but doesnt too well with chevys. its all just playing around with what fits you. i travel alot for work so im always charging my phone off my car charger so my battery life isnt my top concern.

10. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

For my phone, JDLFG as well. Ever since I migrated to FroYo nothing else gives me rock solid performance at 1200 MHz and good battery life, too.

And it gives you 1.21 gigawatts of power, too, right? :p

11. trikotret

trikotret Well-Known Member

Well whats the average usage on a full battery. In other words, how many hours should a fully charge last you to be considered good while using the phone average daily use like text, emails and some internet. Dont count flashing every 30 min :)

12. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

13. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Previous jdflg kernels wouldn't run on Froyo for me, but his new version 2.0 kernels do now.

When I ran 2.1 his kernels worked the best for me, and now they do with 2.2 as well.

1.2ghz runs rock solid.

14. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Since I've switched to Froyo, Jake's kernels have worked the best for me, for both battery and performance. I wasn't able to use the jdlfg one's but I wasn't aware there's new ones out, so I'll give them a shot, too.

15. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I don't know if it's my battery dying or what, but lately my battery life has been terrible, dropping 10% an hour on IDLE. I tried Chevy, jdlfg, and P3Droid -- all low voltage kernels.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's BBV0.4 or not, since I remember having excellent battery life on 0.3

About to try Chevy's source ROM to see what's going on.

16. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I gave the new jdlfg kernels a shot it looks like they work on my Droid now. Was able to get 1.1GHz stably. Thing is, it still scored a lower Quandrant score then I was able to get w/ Jake's 1GHz (1449 as opposed to 1529). I could load 1.2GHz, but I'd start up Quadrant and it'd eventually freeze. I would love if Jake could tinker w/ his kernel like jdlfg did, so I could maybe play w/ a higher kernel. I guess my Droid tops out at a certain level of performance, regardless of how high my processor is OCed. I never had a prob getting to 1.2GHz on 2.1 ROMs, but I guess the JIT enabled 2.2 ROMs are just too much.

17. trikotret

trikotret Well-Known Member

same here. Its drops 10% every hour. Last night it dropped from 40 to 20 in an hour then in 30 min dropped to 5 :confused:

18. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Jake has a 1.2 available for 2.2

19. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I am getting the best battery life I ever have and dont really know why ...

running .... generic_sholes-userdebug 2.2 MASTER eng. jrummy.20100624.225849 test-keys

2.6.32-lowV-1.2Ghz chevyno1@ubuntu#4

infact its been so good I have not tried any of the newer roms. I have learned a little trick that seems to help tho. It seems after my Droid hits a full charge it quits charging even if left plugged in. So here is what I do ... in the morning when I get up I unplug my Droid and get a cup of coffee and before I get in the shower I plug it back in and let it charge until 7:00am. Before doing this routine my phone would be at 70% or less at 1:00pm with no use at all completely on standby. After doing this my phone is at 100% at 1:00pm with an ocasional 90% sometimes it can make it till 5:30pm and still be at 90% if I dont use it on my lunch break.

20. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I'm starting to think it's the new version of SetCPU that is killing my battery life.

Gonna reload BB when I get off work tonight and just let Pete's script control the frequency.

Right now, I've been off the charger like 4.5 hours and very light usage, and I'm already down to 50%.

Anyone having good battery life using the latest setcpu?

Sent from my 'Simply Stunning' Droid using Tapatalk

21. DrDiff

DrDiff Well-Known Member

Question... is JDLFG Jake on this forum? if not can someone point me to a link where I can get his Kernels?

Thanks!

22. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I am but, I have not set any profiles up. I just leave it set to ondemand at 1100.

I have about 40 mins of constant internet from lunch time today and I am setting at 80% right now. Benn off the charger since 7:00am this morning. It will be down to 70% buy the time I get off at 5:30 tonight.

23. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I can say I'm having good battery life w/out it using BBv4 and w/e kernel was in that or Pete's FRF84B. I didnt understand setcpu so I just uninstalled it and my battery life has been great.

24. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

25. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Hey Fab,

Slightly off topic, but I have been wondering how Pete's scripts (or however it is done) to scale the processor without setcpu work. Do you have any idea?

I'd like to go a day without setcpu and see to compare, because I know setcpu has to use a chunk of battery while it runs itselfs. I understand his ROM comes stock at 800, but if I install somebody elses kernel, will it scale to the new one as well? And how low does it go when the phone is asleep/charging, etc.?

:confused: