Best keyboard?General

Last Updated:

1. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Why does everyone use for their keyboard? I've tried swype, better keyboard, anysoftkeyboard, and I was wondering what you guys think is the best keyboard? I can't stand the touch keyboard that comes with th phone.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I use the compact qwerty keyboard that came with the phone and prefer it to all the others.

I hated swype.

3. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

The only one of those I tried was swype and I'm not digging it. I don't mind the keyboard that came on the phone, only wish it was a little more customizable or had bigger keys.. but it can't be too big unfortunately due to the screen size.

4. 5thAgent

5thAgent Well-Known Member

Are there any others that have easy access to punctuation similarly to the default "Touch Input" keyboard? I don't like having to tap 3 buttons to get a bloody exclamation point.

5. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

I use the regular QWERTY keyboard that came with the phone. The only other I've tried is Swype, and although it was cool, I eventually got tired of it and switched back to the regular one.

6. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

I thought the dial pad with T9 that came with Sense was pretty awesome, but it definitely has some frustrating limitations. In seemingly random instances, it would disable T9 text prediction, reducing text entry to the level of the most ancient dumb phones. I noticed the lag, but it never really bothered me that much.

Still, I never tried another KB until I heard about Swype, and I haven't gone back since.

I absolutely cannot handle a full QWERTY in portrait mode unless it's in Swype. I can't fathom how you guys manage to be so precise without giving it your complete, undivided attention. Compact QWERTY is a benevolent addition for former BB users, but I couldn't get the hang of it.

7. hunterx119

hunterx119 Member

you can actually hold down the letter of the key that has the excalmation point, for about 2 seconds, and it will show up.

8. Chopstick2U

Pretty sure he was referring to non-sense KBs. The feature you described is probably one of the strongest features of Sense's KB.

Although, it has been awhile since I've used a friend's Droid, so I could be mistaken.

9. MongolStomp

You know what would be cool? if you instead of a whole new keyboard poppping up when you hit the "12#" but just an icon that let you know that option was selected then you'd hit the Letter with the corresponding symbol you desired. Like you'd press the "12#" button and then "Q" but you would get a one. Kind of like the BB QWERTY. make life easier. I don't see the need for a whole new screen for numbers and suck, maybe for different symbols but not regurally used ones.

10. MongolStomp

Oh, and holding down the letters to get the symbol is time consuming! I wanna bust it not wait 2 sec for a symbol

11. Chopstick2U

With Swype, if you swipe the "m/?" key to the Space bar, it will read it as a "?" followed by a space. Also, Swype is possibly the only KB I've used that properly handles apostrophes. I *refuse* to stop using proper contractions just because I'm on a phone, and I love that I can just swipe down to the ./' button and it will be inserted as an apostrophe.

12. davros

davros Well-Known Member

i use swype and/or better keyboard with andriod 2.0 skin (bigger keys)

13. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What is the name of the skin? I've found the Android skin but no Android 2.0 skin.

14. davros

davros Well-Known Member

androidkeyboard 1.0

its in market as .. Better Keyboard Skin - Android

15. karib

karib Well-Known Member

Best so far is Swype IMO. Other than that, I really liked the stock keyboard. I tried a couple others and didn't think they were any better than the stock one. Personally, I will be stickin with Swype. The newest version (1.16.12.5228) is soooo much better than the last two I installed. Definitely more user friendly!

16. davros

davros Well-Known Member

where'd u find the new one?

i seem to have the old one

Swype 0.35.39.59

17. Mays24

Mays24 Well-Known Member

18. davros

davros Well-Known Member

hmmmm rename it lol

19. Chopstick2U

Man, how am I supposed to keep up with these updates? You know as soon as I get the 2.1 OTA, I'm not gonna keep coming to these boards, right?

PS: The latest version is SO MUCH BETTER!! Would the OP mind updating the first post so people know which version to look for?

20. JohnnyThumbz

JohnnyThumbz Well-Known Member

Coming from a t-mo shadow, I was used to the compact qwerty board. I had a bit of trouble with the touch keys.swiched to swype, used it for about 2 weeks, got pretty good at it. Then Monday I sent an email using the stock keyboard, and was typing with the reflexes of a cat and the speed of a mongoose. Been using it since.

21. davros

davros Well-Known Member

lol

:D

22. alexislost

alexislost Active Member

i just put the newest version of swype on my phone. sooo sooo very much better than the original version of swype i had on there.

23. davros

davros Well-Known Member

totally agree its smoother and fancy

24. alexislost

alexislost Active Member

the only thing i can't figure out is to lower the keyboard when i'm not using it?

25. davros

davros Well-Known Member

back button?