Best launcher for Note 2....General

Last Updated:

1. ren857

ren857 Well-Known Member

I use TSF Shell. It's my favorite launcher (and priciest). It's unlike any other launcher. I cannot stand the stock JB launcher - it's too plain. I've used SPB Shell, ADW, Go Launcher, Launcher Pro, and Nova. None of them is like TSF.

Once I get tired of TW, I'll be using TSF.

Advertisement
  2. pablotech1

pablotech1 Active Member

This is the launcher I used on my original Note and my Nexus 7, it's called Claystone. It's very different than any other in the sense that it's a dual launcher. While Claystone itself is more like a huge customizable 3D widget, you get your choice of a second launcher by just pressing the home button. My second launcher is Go Launcher Ex, being the most popular one out there. Resolution is not that great but it's guaranteed to turn heads and raise eyebrows...
  3. animal47

animal47 Well-Known Member

Until I saw this thread I had never even considered a different launcher but have been playing and tried a couple this morning and really like nova and how everything is customisable especially the amount of icons that you can fit on the homepage. The only thing I dont like is that the screens dont carousel but I think its a keeper for me.
  4. nickname_esco

nickname_esco Member

been using Go Launcher for few days now. I like it.....but some of the s-pen features seem to be gone? for e.g. air view only works on s-note....nowhere else???

anyone with go launcher got s-pen to work fully?
  5. animal47

Air view still works fine in nova.
    Puppa likes this.
  6. NJRonbo

NJRonbo Well-Known Member

Nova seems to be one of the most popular launchers.

I am using it and really enjoy it.
  7. Lateck

Lateck Well-Known Member

I have used the stock TW for the first week and yesterday switched to Nova Launcher Prime for the above reasons!
    I had used it on my GS2 and really liked it there.
    I'm very happy with NLP as I like the live wallpaper in the background.

Lateck,
  8. animal47

Is it worth paying for nova prime, I am really enjoying the stock nova launcher but not sure whether its worth me paying for the prime version.
  9. NJRonbo

Hard to say. I got it for 25 cents during the Google Play Store Celebration last month.

I forgot what the extra features were that you get in PRIME. All around, I think it's a terrific launcher and if it's not overly expensive go for the Prime.
  10. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

There is a free version of Nova Launcher which is very good. A lot of folks took advantage of Nova Launcher Prime when it was $0.25 like NJ said. Try the free version and see how you like it.
  11. jonmwood

jonmwood Well-Known Member

Any functions that are disabled besides certain touchwiz widgets, S-pen app automatically pulled up, headphones being plugged in? I saw that Airview works fine, everything else ok on Nova?
  12. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

You can create tabs in the app drawer in holo and group apps as you like. I've used go, launcher pro and novo too and have stuck with holo hd and paid for it. Once you start using the sliding dock, it's tough to go back to a launcher without it, including tw.

You can also group your favorite apps in folders and put them in the dock. I almost never use the app drawer. This goes for holo and novo. Possibly aapex, but I haven't used it.
    drexappeal likes this.
  13. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I use the dock for preferred apps. I was able to create folders in the dock when lpp was the launcher of choice, but didn't like that as much because there are apps I only use every now and then.

I'm gonna check out the tab function on holo.
  14. dbpaddler

Launcher settings, drawer settings, tab settings. Widgets is the 2nd tab by default.
    drexappeal likes this.
  15. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

So what things DON'T work if you use another launcher? Just curious...S-Pen and all that don't, and other Touchwiz specific things?
  16. NJRonbo

Oooh, never figured I might lose S-PEN if I use a launcher.

I am interested in that question as well
  17. PetiePal

Yeah I mean all that flashy stuff is basically built into the TouchWiz...so the notes, the sidebar, idea sketch, bestface and planner etc...

how many of those are really separate apps vs hardbaked?

The only way around it then seems like you'd have to use a ROM with the features enabled.
  18. animal47

With nova the only thing I have seen different is that text alerts no longer show up on the homepage icon they only show in the notification bar.
  19. dbpaddler

S-pen has nothing to do with Touchwiz. Don't even begin to try and spread that rumor. Unless there is a pen specific widget that's is in Touchwiz, the s-pen works just fine.

It's just a launcher people.
    Puppa and paravent like this.
  20. PetiePal

From another forum:

I've been using Apex for some 3 months and my S pen apps all seem to be working. Apex and Nova are just an overlay of home screen icons. These launchers do not affect the apps as such nor the pen detection. To be noted: this is on a Note 1. I wouldn't see any problem w/ Note
  21. PetiePal

22. jonmwood

jonmwood Well-Known Member

wait none of those APPS work or the widgets? What do you mean by "flashy stuff"
  23. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

Wow! What are you so angry about it for? This is just one forum and throughout many of them people are saying they've lost specific S-Pen functionality when switching from TouchWiz to a different launcher.

Not sure how trying to get clarification means one is spreading rumors.
  24. PetiePal

Lol people get touchy. I think that a lot of the S-Pen stuff is BUILT into Touchwiz. So the pen will still WORK, that's built into the hardware, but I don't know about the little sidebars popping up, or specific things. It will still tell you the pen is OUT and not to forget leaving it somewhere but I wonder about the functionality..someone should test at a store and post results!
    jonmwood likes this.
  25. dbpaddler

angry? Nothing angry. Sorry I didn't put little smilies everywhere. Just don't want people to think the S-pen just won't work without the TW launcher. It's a lot different than certain things not working. I'm sure Samsung has tied certain features or widgets to the TW launcher, but it's not a blanket statement that it just doesn't work. Just making sure people know the difference.

Besides, instead of just be limited to the TW launcher for some of the functionality, it might be a good idea to say something to Samsung about limiting certain features to the TW launcher. Widgets and such are one thing, but functionality isn't.

So far, the only pen based widgets I've seen are the two S Note widgets which show up in Holo.