• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best launcher for Note 2....

Hi

I think everything works in holo hd except:
Page buddy
Pinch within app drawer to show pages

Certainly all the s pen functions work fine

I like touchwiz but now really like the sliding dock in holo (which I was using on my old htc desire)

Roger

Sliding dock (e.g. scrollable dock) is available in Nova, Apex, and Go Launcher Ex, also.

Upvote 0
Hi paws. Quick questions- Once hidden how did you access the app drawer?

I don't know if it's still relevant, but on my old Desire running Go Launcher I removed the app drawer icon from the dock and instead opened it by swiping down on the screen. You could set different actions for swiping up and down with Go (or you could anyway, it's been a while since I used it).

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0
As many of you know I use launchers mainly for eye candy and less about functionality. Last night I came across Nemus Launcher in the play store (never heard of it until I started Googling for something else and one thing led to another). Talk about minimal. I love this launcher simply because it doesnt spend a lot of time doing everything in the world.
One of the things that caught my attention is it high praises of using barely any battery at all.

I also installed MXHome Launcher. I had to go for one of the flashiest themes and it took all of 3 minutes to uninstall it. There was no way I could find to access my app drawer. The theme itself was super cool but a whole lot of good a cool theme will do ya if you cant get to your apps.

Reactions: nanoweewee
Upvote 0
Glad to see this thread is still open, wondered why it closed. I remember reading when I got my Note to use the stock launcher so one knows what they are missing once you make the jump to another launcher. I tired several today and am hooked on Holo HD but I'd say the most popular launchers are almost the same. I don't know why people poop on Touchwiz too much but I don't think it's that bad, just not as many options as the other launchers.

With the Holo launcher, while the pop up pad feature still works, the stock calender 4x4 widget does not. I've grown to like that particular widget as it shows everything I've saved to my calender. Hope they fix that since there is no other calender widget like it.

Upvote 0
Glad to see this thread is still open, wondered why it closed. I remember reading when I got my Note to use the stock launcher so one knows what they are missing once you make the jump to another launcher. I tired several today and am hooked on Holo HD but I'd say the most popular launchers are almost the same. I don't know why people poop on Touchwiz too much but I don't think it's that bad, just not as many options as the other launchers.

A lot of people poop on touchwiz because of how terrible it used to be on the original galaxy phone a few years ago. I hated TW then - it was an obvious iphone clone with very little functionality. Samsung finally figured that out and started improving TW and that's what we have today - a very much improved TW.

I actually like it. I was using another launcher, but a few days into it, I switched back to TW. Maybe I want things more simple in my old age. LOL :p

Upvote 0
A lot of people poop on touchwiz because of how terrible it used to be on the original galaxy phone a few years ago. I hated TW then - it was an obvious iphone clone with very little functionality. Samsung finally figured that out and started improving TW and that's what we have today - a very much improved TW.

I actually like it. I was using another launcher, but a few days into it, I switched back to TW. Maybe I want things more simple in my old age. LOL :p

Only things that kept me from sticking with TouchWiz 1) Non customizable dock, and 2) No horizontal auto-rotate on homescreens.

Other than those reasons, I agree, TouchWiz has definitely improved. I still can't see myself using OEM launchers until they allow for more customization. I'm definitely happy with Nova Prime and what it offers.

Upvote 0
Here's what i've tried.....Nova: don't like the page 'stickiness.' Seems like flipping from screen to screen takes too much effort. Otherwise it's fast and has plenty of options. But the thing that you do on a pretty much routine basis ain't making me happy.

Apex: I don't see any speed differences compared to Nova. No page stickiness but it does have a deal breaker for me. I love the Falcon twitter widget. It will not update itself under Apex. I've tried different things but for some reason it's stubborn. I've had a similar problem with Apex and the Tweetcaster widget on my N7. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Well, in any case fix it please.

Holo: I heart Holo. It's fast...the fastest of all launchers. You simply need to bump up the speed in the options but I see nothing adverse to toggleing it to 90%. This launcher feels very much like Apex to me but just less of it. Fewer scroll animations for instance. But it updates Falcon, has no page stickiness.....winner!

I have not tried Go! Perhaps I should but I'm staying with the paid version of Holo for now since I see no reason to change.

Upvote 0
I love Go launcher ex. It is probably my favorite of all launchers. Fast and extremely customizable, and like ScandaLeX, I need pretty themes!
The closest thing, and my next favorite is Apex.

I miss Go for the themes/contacts/locker but a lot of the ones I've paid for don't even show up in my list.
The devs are saying it had to do with a change Google made so in order to get them to show up, I have to contact each dev and have them email me the unsigned apk's.
Each time I come across one I want I reinstall I take a pic of it in the play store showing "install" and send that pic to the dev so they'll see I've already paid for it.

Upvote 0
I miss Go for the themes/contacts/locker but a lot of the ones I've paid for don't even show up in my list.
The devs are saying it had to do with a change Google made so in order to get them to show up, I have to contact each dev and have them email me the unsigned apk's.
Each time I come across one I want I reinstall I take a pic of it in the play store showing "install" and send that pic to the dev so they'll see I've already paid for it.

That's a pain in the butt. And Go was such a battery hog, I don't think I'll ever go back.

Upvote 0
That's a pain in the butt. And Go was such a battery hog, I don't think I'll ever go back.

I went back to GO to do the customizing I saw ColdFusTion do to his phone; but then I wrecked the look of it by moving too fast and deleted data instead of clearing defaults.

There are quite a few launchers that use Go themes and for that alone I want my themes back. I've been placing the unsigned apk's in my DB.
My current launcher (Nemus) has an extremely light footprint; only 3.64mb while GO weighs in near 8mb.

Upvote 0

I'm glad you mentioned that google change causing you to have to get theme apks. Whatever change google made, it must be in jellybean only. I have to do the same thing for themes in TSF Shell. Sucks!

I think they can tell by your email address whether you paid for it or not - assuming that they kept your info when you bought the theme.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you mentioned that google change causing you to have to get theme apks. Whatever change google made, it must be in jellybean only. I have to do the same thing for themes in TSF Shell. Sucks!

I think they can tell by your email address whether you paid for it or not - assuming that they kept your info when you bought the theme.

TSF Shell..... Is that the $16 launcher? I paid $15 for SPB Shell 3D and hardly used if. Well I had the Photon when I got it and it always crashed coming out of dock mode.

Upvote 0
For me, I use a 3rd party launcher for three reasons:
-scrollable widgets: awesome for agenda apps and probably any list oriented widget. More info at your fingertips.
-the sliding dock at the bottom. More apps at your fingertips without using the drawer.
-simple drag and drop folders the home screen.

I could throw in 1x1 widgets in the dock too, but that's not a big deal. For me it's purely organization and ease of use. Could give a rat's associated about glitz and bling. Actually, I still use the black wood wallpaper from the syndicate frozen room on epic because of the readability of text against it.

Upvote 0
I didn't understand the attraction of Launchers and had no idea what I was missing until I finally gave in and tried out a few on my older Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich-based phones.

The biggest reason for me to use a Launcher is homescreen gestures:

-1 Finger Swipe down = notifications
-1 Finger Swipe up = email
-2 Finger Swipe down = calendar
-2 Finger Swipe up = web browser
-Double-Tap = Google Now

The second biggest reason for me is faster page transitions when swiping between homescreens than what you get with TouchWiz.

The third biggest reason for me is being able to customize my icons by using icons from various themes. I'm not crazy about the stock TouchWiz icons for some things, so it's nice to download other icon sets and change my homescreen icons as I please.

I use Nova Launcher currently. I have Go installed but don't use it. It's only installed because I like some of the wallpapers that are available only if Go is installed. I have tried a lot of different Launchers (pretty much all of the ones listed in this thread). My favourites, by far, are Nova Launcher and Launcher 7 (Windows 7-styled launcher). That said, Nova Launcher, Apex Launcher and now ADW Launcher share most of the same features.

Upvote 0
The biggest reason for me to use a Launcher is homescreen gestures:

-1 Finger Swipe down = notifications
-1 Finger Swipe up = email
-2 Finger Swipe down = calendar
-2 Finger Swipe up = web browser
-Double-Tap = Google Now

Aren't notifications already one swipe down? And how do you do the latter two one handed? Having to go to two hands for basic UI would kill it for me.

That said, Nova Launcher, Apex Launcher and now ADW Launcher share most of the same features.
Holo is pretty much toe to toe with Nova and Apex. Haven't touched ADW in ages because I didn't like how they did their dock. It seems that if one adds functionality, the others follow suit.

Upvote 0
@dbpaddler: I'm sure your questions were rhetorical since you've obviously already used the same launchers, but I'll answer them, anyway, for people who might not have tried them.

Aren't notifications already one swipe down? And how do you do the latter two one handed? Having to go to two hands for basic UI would kill it for me.

The fact that two-finger gestures are a feature of the software suggests that people do actually use their devices with two hands. With the notification gesture enabled I don't have to swipe from the notification bar at the top of the screen. I can swipe anywhere at all, even with one hand, though I very rarely use the phone one-handed. You must have massive hands to be able to, single-handedly, hold the phone securely and still be able to reach and swipe down from the notification bar then interact with all parts of the screen afterwards. My hands aren't big enough. Even if they were, I'm much faster with two hands (even on the GSIII, which I can operate with one hand). Both my old Note 1 and new Note 2 are two-hand phones for me.

Additionally, using Nova doesn't mean you have to use gestures. If you can't stand the idea of using two hands to operate your device then you don't have to. You can do things the usual way if you like (eg. dock icons/folders), but you have the option of using gestures. With TouchWiz you don't have that option. That was the point.

Holo is pretty much toe to toe with Nova and Apex. Haven't touched ADW in ages because I didn't like how they did their dock. It seems that if one adds functionality, the others follow suit.
I agree. They all have the same functionality, that's why I settled on Nova. For something different I like Launcher 7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones