• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root best launcher for tablets?

ManOverboard

Dec 29, 2010
NoVa
so ive had my nook color rooted for a while, froyo on it through GoLauncher. it works well enough, about the same as launcherpro, which ive got on my phone.
the problem with these launchers, is that they leave a lot of unusable space on my screen, where i want to add other shortcuts/widgets. any ideas?

I've been using Zeam for about a week without a single issue. You can configure the number of screens and add more columns and rows. I've run 6x6 for the past couple days and it doesn't feel cramped. The standard 4x4 layout just feels like too much of the screen is wasted.

I have not tried any of the other launchers on my tab yet, so I can't speak to those.

Upvote 0
I am using Zeam also on mine..

I set mine up to hide the status bar and 8X8 rows and columns. I then use the action swipe buttons as such:

Swipe down = Show status bar
Swipe up = Open App draw

This gives me a homescreen with no square app box at all and nothing but apps and widgets on it.

Works well for me and kind of differentiates it from my Droid Eris a bit..

Upvote 0
I have tested and tested many launchers, to me Launcher Pro is the smoothest after adding widgets, icons, etc. It makes the phone/tab feel smoother overall and less lag between the home screens.

If you buy the plus version, you can stretch the widgets to be whatever size you need them to be, quite a cool feature for Tabs.

Upvote 0
I have tested and tested many launchers, to me Launcher Pro is the smoothest after adding widgets, icons, etc. It makes the phone/tab feel smoother overall and less lag between the home screens.

If you buy the plus version, you can stretch the widgets to be whatever size you need them to be, quite a cool feature for Tabs.
Same here.

Think I have my icons on a 8x10 grid.

Upvote 0
I think I've settled on Launcher Pro (paid version), after trying Zeam and Go Launcher. I never cared for ADW.

Launcher Pro seems to be the most customizable, and a lot of the widgets that come with the paid version are really nice.

I'm sure now that tablets are coming out we'll start seeing launchers designed specifically with tablets in mind any time now...

Upvote 0
Does Zeam allow you yo change the widget sizes like Go Launcher does? If it does I may take a look at it.

Not on the fly, but when you first place a widget on your screen it asks you how many rows & columns you want it to take up. If you want to change the size you have to remove the widget & re add it at the new size.

Reactions: toomuchgame441
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones