1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Best location to store files?General

1. stanw

stanw Well-Known Member

I copied some large PowerPoint files of around 29mb each to dropbox, though it takes too long to open, so I want to copy it to the phone. Where is the best place to copy it? Does it matter? I've never copied files to it. I also have an sd card.

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Me_Droid_Freak

Me_Droid_Freak Daryl Bowman

By default, if you have an SD in your phone, you won't be able to access your phone's storage from your phone, only the SD. So put the files on your SD. You can put them pretty much anywhere. I would suggest /documents/ or something like that...but it doesn't really matter.
  3. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

Huh?

Edit: Assuming you mean from DropBox. Stanw, if you use a file manager app, or connect the phone to your PC, the best place to put large files is on your SD card, which will show up as "Card" when you plug it in to a PC, or in the case of file manager apps, it's usually referred to as "extsdcard". Anywhere you put it on the card is fine. Like stanw suggested, create a folder on the card called Documents, and copy it to there. The preinstalled My Files app should find it, or any other file manager app you'd like to use.
  4. Me_Droid_Freak

I know of no way to access the internal phone storage, through a file explorer, while the SD is present. Am I incorrect in saying that?
  5. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I have full access to all of my storage all the time using root explorer...

I've also used a few other apps and been able to access the internal sd. The internal is called sdcard, the external is under storage/extSdCard.

It wouldn't do us much good to have 32gb internal if we couldn't use it...
    Me_Droid_Freak likes this.
  6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

ES file exploer is a good app available in the Play Store. 29MB files are pretty small considering we have 25GB of internal memory. Unless you have over 1000 of them internal memory is a good place to keep them stanw. Create a documents folder and put them there for ease of use and fastest access. When you eventually want to archive them place them on your extsdcard.
    Me_Droid_Freak likes this.
  7. Me_Droid_Freak

My bad...maybe I'll have to check into that. I use Solid Explorer, and I only have two GBs of internal, so I never needed it really badly, but we'll see...
  8. Me_Droid_Freak

My apologies. Solid Explorer has internal housed under "sdcard0" and external under "sdcard1". That could be very useful...