Best media player for Nexus One?

Last Updated:

1. t0ph0id

t0ph0id Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What's the best media player for the Nexus One?

I mainly want to use it for audio play back.

I'm currently using the stock audio player with the Pure Music widget.

Is there better out there?

Advertisement
  2. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

I'm with the stock player yet, but I used to have meridian on my previous Android phone

3. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

I've wondered the same thing - looking around for something better than the stock, partly for the reason below.

Apologies if this is a deviation from the original question but is there any way to alter the sound settings on the nexus musicplayer? Or on the nexus itsself, eg, more bass, more treble etc? Even on my old v basic motorola EM330 it was possible to change the equaliser (to presets and to manual preferences)

4. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

Found this in the Android media forum.

>> re Best Android media player?
    Seems to me that all of the media players for android are primitive so far, problems with supporting the different file formats in same player (AAC, M4A, WAV, WMA, MP3) user GUI's are incomplete and the quality of playback inconsistent app to app. Will share my experience so far with this qualifier... I care about the fidelity of the playback which is why my favorite PC music app is Foobar2000. I do see potential in Android for 2 basic reasons, processor power and most importantly battery power. I do not use an iPod/Touch for 1 basic reason; the music is compressed for dynamic range as a way to conserve file space and battery power duration...boring is the gentlest word I can use for this. My android phone doesn't have the digital fidelity of an iPod but the dynamic range is much better/more exciting.

So stack ranked based on what I've seen as of 1/14/10

1. LukLuk - best audio playback so far. Interface is awful for searching stored music, flat file structure, no album artwork. Supports MP3 and WMA
    Screen controls hidden when playing music (probably because its primary mission is video)
    2. Music- default android phone app is reasonably good, musicly engaging but not as detailed in reproducing music as LukLuk. Interface is good with artist, album, song, and playlist. Does not have album art search feature. Supports MP3, WMA
    3. Mix Zng lite - musically ok, some anomalies but not intrusive. Better interface than Music, adds Genres and video for options, object oriented display, supports MP3. Able to find album artwork as you play songs.
    4. Meridan player- musically unpalatable, altered tone balance and loss of background sounds. Didn't get past this to play with the interface or formats supported.

I'm sure there are others out there but the android site itself is user unfriendly for trying to inventory whats on the site.... stupid that they won't let you at least see the inventory and descriptions from a PC. Will keep watching for newer apps.<<

Oh, and it seems there's no graphic equalizer capability. One app in the market but it isn't rated very highly.

5. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

I've found a good one to be mVideoPlayer... it's got a better (ie. finer tuned) scroll bar to jog to specific time in a video - you can drag your finger across the screen to control the scroll bar... it also has a less intrusive interface... fast too... and a great file browser with it too... (it will also play AVIs directly along with h.264/.m4v)... Recommend it!

6. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

LukLuk is trash. How the hell are you supposed to find a song on that.

Nemo player is good but a little sluggish at times ((find on xda it was ripped from samsung))

7. c1rca310

c1rca310 Member

For playing music 3 is the best and most unique. Its a cube where u swipe or flick ur finger up or down to find songs or left or right to search in abc order. U can set it to wall format where itll show all albums or go boring staying as its called where u just get the songs title. You can find this app by seaching filipe abrantes and it'll be the one that has the 3

8. hipocrazy

hipocrazy Well-Known Member

+1 for 3!

9. Neemo

Neemo Active Member

3 or &#7583; is my presonal favourite

10. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Good call - love it!

11. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I've had MixZing,

12. modern

modern Well-Known Member

I've tried the HTC music player, Tune Wiki, Mixzing and btunes. I like btunes, its the easiest to navigate.

club968 likes this.
  13. jcmtyler

jcmtyler Well-Known Member

I had been fairly happy with MixZing Lite for the past couple of months, and the latest update brought a much appreciated lock screen widget, so I can change songs easily while driving (don't have to unlock the phone first). I had always been unimpressed with the shuffle behavior though, but maybe I didn't completely understand how it was supposed to work. I think I get the song "rating" that it uses to provided song recommendations, but for the most part I just want a nice random sort.

I just downloaded "3" and started reading about bTunes.

14. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Ooh, lockscreen controls was one of the reasons I was swayed over to bTunes, even tho the widget looks ugly as ****
    bTunes is basically a port of the iPhone music player. Not very original, but that still makes it one of the most user friendly music apps available imo.

15. billytkid

billytkid Well-Known Member

btunes for me. 3 looks cool, but you need a lock screen control

16. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Liking bTunes so far. May end up leaving the iPod at home.

17. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

Ive been using 3 for quite some time (around december) before that i used mixzing. I really like the interface on 3 and the fact that you can choose the album art by long pressing on an album cover, but its gotten bland as of late, so i switched back to mixzing, im loving the locked screen widget as well as the auto playlist maker. If there was a way to combine these 2 it would be my perfect music player. As for video, i use video player simply because i hate going into the gallery to play videos.

18. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

I've recently fallen for bTunes. Very nice media player.

19. club968

club968 Well-Known Member

I've been using MixZing for the last 3 months and always thought it was better in functionality than the stock Music app. Checked out btunes and definitely find it a little better. I like the fact that you can list and play all songs from one artist regardless of the number of albums from the same artist you have. Or just play all songs of one genre without having to further select one album. I'll be sticking with this one for now.