Best Memory Card SizeTips

Last Updated:

1. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just got me a G1 earlier this week but my question is this.

Even though their website says the max size card you can put in is 8GB I have seen somewhere you can put one in a little bigger, so there for I am wondering what is the biggest memory card that can be put in this thing?

I currently use a 2GB one that I had in my former nokia 5310.

Advertisement
  2. CptGemini

Many thanks :)

3. JackieNoff

JackieNoff Member

I have an 8gb, bigger is better though.

4. ravens0ng

ravens0ng Well-Known Member

I'm using a 16gb.

One thing to be aware of, if you have any desire to root your phone, running your apps from your sd card is possible, allowing you to install many more programs than you can on the small internal memeory that comes with it.

However, if you want to do this the sdcard MUST be a class 6 or android will have all sorts of issues.

8gb Class 6 are very cost friendly right now, you can get them for under $15 everywhere on the web.

16gb Class 6 will cost you about $50 right now.

The only 32gb class 6 card I have seen was $250+. Too pricey for me, but it's nice to know we can go there when the prices come down.

5. CptGemini

I forgot to mention that I don't have my phone rooted and I am not really planning to unless I really need to.

Will those larger size ones work with a non-rooted phone?

6. yohn

yohn Member

yes i got my 8gb class 6 for cheap.. for me has more than enough space to store my music app files pictures etc

7. CptGemini

I thought about rooting my phone but I am not that knowledgeable with linux so I don't want to risk messing anything up and bricking this thing when I have only had it for not even a week yet.

But thus far I have been managing with the little space the phone is internally.

I did find out where to clear the cache for every program that has it and managed to free up about 5mb of internal memory, most of it was used by the web browser.

8. droider

droider Member

I bought a 8Gb Class 6 SDHC card, and honestly didn't see an improvement.

I did however, re-format it using 64k blocks... And that seem to make a noticeable speed difference READING the memory card... That comment (that it's faster) comes from loading and viewing the picture gallery... The initial index is rendered much faster.

9. llumfern

llumfern New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I would like to know if anyone has written a tutorial or similar on how to root your htc magic?? it would be good to know what to do if it gets full. Thanks