Best Method??

Last Updated:

1. HackADevice

HackADevice Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was just wondering which root method is the fastest/simplistic way to root the nexus 7 running 4.2.1?

Advertisement
  2. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Hook likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

I'm curious about the seeming requirement to unlock the bootloader in order to root. I've never had to do that before (always used SuperOneClick), but that was with Gingerbread. I did unlock the bootloader on my N1 but that was to flash CyanogenMod. I had it rooted before that. Is this an ICS and/or JB change?

I'm not complaining and I really want to thank everyone here for all the information and resources. I know I will get around to rooting, but since I am not looking for a new ROM, I was surprised by the requirement to unlock and am trying to understand.

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I would agree, use wugs toolkit

Unlocking is required to put a custom recovery on the device, which is needed to either install SU files or install a custom ROM.

Superoneclick was a security vulnerability, and has been patched.

Hook likes this.
  5. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

Okay, I'll read through the stuff here and about the root toolkit at XDA. can you give me an idea of how updates from Google are handled. if I unlock the bootloader and reflash stock (I see a link for that) will it recieve updates still (might take away root) or is there more to it.

Probably better if i read up first and then ask questions. I know. :rolleyes:

6. Rxpert83

If you stay stock, you can take OTA's, but will lose root. When that happens you just re-run the toolkit to re-root you or you can do it manually via http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-all-things-root/655335-how-manually-re-root-after-ota-update.html

If you uninstall system apps, the OTA update will fail. I usually make a flashable zip the same day that disables the app checks for people to update.

Hook likes this.
  7. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

8. Rxpert83

Not anymore, let me look into making a new one real quick

Teknologic likes this.
  9. Rxpert83

I managed to get sidetracked. :eek: Sorry. I have recruitment going on for our graduate department tonight, but PM me if I don't do by tomorrow.

Teknologic likes this.