• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Music/Media Player App

If you can't find an app that does this, you can always do what I do...

Since I do some deejaying, I like to run all my songs thru MP3 Gain in order to ensure that all my tracks are leveled and that I shouldn't have to adjust the gain knobs for that very reason. If you were to do this, you wouldn't need to worry about the app needing a built-in normalizer. The default is to 89db; although I set my default to 95db.

I use MP3 gain too. Handy for tunes set too low or too high (as most are now).

Upvote 0
I use Audacity on my computer to boost the track volume of all my mp3's and convert the boosted songs into new mp3 files (mp3 -> mp3). I was wondering if there was an app where I could do the same thing from my phone instead of having to turn on my computer to do it? I've gotten to the point where basically the only think I even use my computer for IS for music boosting/conversion, and I'm kinda trying to phase that out too, if possible. With Android, I feel like I don't have a whole lot of need for a computer anymore.

Upvote 0
I just switched from an iPod Touch to a Galaxy Nexus. In iTunes I made heavy use of smart playlists that were based on song rating and play count. So every time a song played, the play count incremented and the smart playlists would automatically update. Is there an Android music app that can match this functionality? If not, how about one with the ability to make static playlists based on song rating and play count? (I wouldn't mind updating manually)

Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
Neutron Music Player, hands down the very best sounding player in the market. Many ingenious ideas and features included. On a different playing field. Trust me, I have both playerpro and poweramp bought and payed for. Neutron made me never look back. $10 loss well worth to be blessed with the very best. Remember Neutron Music Player is here to crush all pretenders and so-called contenders. I Love music, Neutron music Player has my $400 Beats By Dre Pros sounding like 2 fifteens,tweeters,horns, with a Herculez amp pushing subs to the limit. Just banging. No bs. You'll Love this one...

Upvote 0
I am baffled by this thread, is it the case that most people download media files then use a convertor and also a separate app just to get album artwork ?

as far as i can see my missus (iphone user) rips cd's into itunes they have album art from the database and then when she syncs the phone its all there art work too.

I downloaded Kies for my S2 expecting to do the same. oh my. I cant believe that the stock programme does not even do this. how can you compete with apple when you have to use all kinds of other software just to build up a half decent media library ?

I moved some tracks from windows media player and Kies messed up the trakclist order ? plus it didnt bring the art work across ?

Help. i just want one programme (pc software) so i can build a library with art work that i can send to my phone. I have thoushands of cd;s to rip

Upvote 0
MediaMonkey on PC sucks. It changes the file and adds a MediaMonkey to the end of the extension; thus rendering all other apps from being able to find, locate, and play those media files. I was pissed when I started up my Traktor 2 Pro and it could no longer find my songs. I immediately uninstalled MM when I found this out.

Upvote 0
MediaMonkey on PC sucks. It changes the file and adds a MediaMonkey to the end of the extension; thus rendering all other apps from being able to find, locate, and play those media files. I was pissed when I started up my Traktor 2 Pro and it could no longer find my songs. I immediately uninstalled MM when I found this out.

never encountered problems...you obviously don't know how to use it properly i have been using it for years and on every device with out one prob...

Upvote 0
I also hated media Monkey on my windows PC's...Periodically it would rearrange all my music, break up albums, and in general foul things up randomly...I junked it and went with J-River without a backwards glance...What I use now is J-River on my music server and poweramp on the phone...files transfer without problem and J-River has never screwed with my files.

Upvote 0
I feel like Android is advanced enough that it should be able to handle playing almost any type of video. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Streaming Flash is a classic example of this on phones that don't natively support Flash (VPlayer is THE ONLY player I know of that bypasses this anamoly)
What are the video types that Android can play? Just mp4s?
The Samsung Vitality can handle just about anything thrown at it (Including FLV files, which is quite a surprise since it doesn't natively support Flash) with very little (If any) trouble at all

:cheers:

PC Bigboy

Upvote 0
I can't seem to get my G1 to play *any* video from my microSD, regardless of the apps (tried Cinema and Video Player).

My file format must be screwed up. mp4. h.264. What else do I need to know? Is there a file size limit?
Can you play it on your PC ?? If not, then it's corrupt & needs to be properly re-transcoded FROM THE ORIGINAL SOURCE to be fixed (Don't use the corrupt version or all you'll do is simply create another version you can't use)

PC Bigboy

Upvote 0
I use Audacity on my computer to boost the track volume of all my mp3's and convert the boosted songs into new mp3 files (mp3 -> mp3). I was wondering if there was an app where I could do the same thing from my phone instead of having to turn on my computer to do it? I've gotten to the point where basically the only think I even use my computer for IS for music boosting/conversion, and I'm kinda trying to phase that out too, if possible. With Android, I feel like I don't have a whole lot of need for a computer anymore.
Wait till you start messing around with VIDEO. You'll need a computer then

PC Bigboy

Upvote 0
On top of that, it SUCKS BALLS as a podcatcher too because it DOES NOT podcasts in their own folders (Found this out when I subbed to A GAZZILION podcasts & found myself sifting through episodes from a haystack of podcasts just to find the proverbial needle in the one episode from the one podcast I was looking for :evil: )

So as soon as I find another podcatcher (The only other one I have is iTunes, which I'm using to handle my video podcast subscriptions), MM IS GONE !!!!!

PC Bigboy

Upvote 0
I am looking for a media player that will show the encoded lyrics, as well.
I heard that Meridian would do it, but I do not see how it does. It can SEARCH for the lyrics, but I already have them all tagged into my files.
Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Unfortunately, Android does not natively support the ID3v2 USLT tag necessary to display lyrics. I just added a new feature request that would give Android this support. This will enable the native and 3rd party music players to display lyrics. If you want this feature, please star the request below, and post your comments.

Issue 32547 - android - Add ID3v2 Lyrics Support to Media Database - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Upvote 0
The MixZing is a high level press gamer program to be used on your Operating system phone and pills. This program instantly shows the lines for an incredible number of music which it can play. Also along with lines it provides visual equalizer for mp3, aac, m4a and OGG information. The MixZing instantly helps you to save the playlists and allows you recover the remove music.

Upvote 0
All i want is a very simple music player just for playing files on my phone with a good shuffle and a good and customizable widget since i hardly ever go into the fullscreen. Still have not found one im 100% happy with. Started with songbird but it kept locking up my phone alot, then i tried doubletwist which was a really large app and i widget i didnt like. Now i'm using tunewiki which i know is more a social music app than just a standard player but it seems small enough, shuffles ok and the widget goes with the look of my homescreen so im sticking with it for the time being.

My first day with the new Sammy GSIII and i'm looking for a decent Music player along the same lines as you, PoerAmp and Neutron too fiddly for just basic music playback but thanks for the vote for TuneWiki. Just installed it and it looks and controls just the way i'd like.

Upvote 0
:eek::eek:
Hi there one and all. I am trying to use my Galaxy GT-P1000R Tablet to play Guitar Backing Tracks which are MP3 format. Here is my delima. I have tried different players and haven't decided yet which I will use but I cannot get any of the players to stop after playing one track. I have tried Winamp, Meridian, MixZing and a few others but I cannot get any of them to stop playing after one number. They all carry on into the next number in my playlist.

Can anyone tell me how to just play one song at a time only without a second later another song starts playing. How do I stop after one song. Keep in mind I have a guitar in my hand and not able to lean over and stop the play back of the next number without hearing a few seconds of the next number.

Thanks,
Tommy :eek::eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones