• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best music playing app?...Which I can also use on my PC?

Gormogon

Lurker
Aug 20, 2010
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on the forums, apologies.

I've been using my Ipod for years but it's the 8 gig one and I've had to move stuff about all the time. I suddenly realised why not use my phone? It's an HTC Desire with a 32gig Micro SD card.

I'm currently using song bird but the one really big downfall in it is the inability to "rate" music whilst on my phone. I tend to import a load of music, and rate is as I go along and delete what I don't want...but can't do it with songbird as I am unable to rate the songs....that being said, maybe songbird does have this capability and I'm just using it incorrectly?

So...can anyone recommend a program which loosely fits the following criteria?

1. Can rate music on the device.

2. Has an equivalent program which I can use on a windows PC so I can arrange files, delete stuff, create playlists and of this point, most importantly allows me to export directly to the micro SD in the phone if it's docked to the PC etc.
3. Allows you to play music from a micro SD card rather than the phones paltry hd.

4. Isn't very draconian, Probably with no "connection" I'm very good with my music I buy virtually all of it but I can't guarantee there aren't one or two files....

I know normally it's a knee jerk reaction for people to post on forums but truthfully I have taken some time looking and am yet to find something viable without the risk of buying something and finding out it's not suitable.

I hope you guys can help.

Thanks a lot.

I have used and will continue to enjoy using Winamp on my laptop, which is connected to my hi-fi, for several years. I have also put Playa Control on my Galaxy S2 to control Winamp from my armchair; saves having to put down my drink and walk across the room to the laptop to select a new track:)

However I have had problems with Winamp on my phone:-

Genres, Albums and Artists - Winamp Forums

I use POweramp on the Galaxy which operates as I wish i.e. plays complete albums.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on the forums, apologies.

I've been using my Ipod for years but it's the 8 gig one and I've had to move stuff about all the time. I suddenly realised why not use my phone? It's an HTC Desire with a 32gig Micro SD card.

I'm currently using song bird but the one really big downfall in it is the inability to "rate" music whilst on my phone. I tend to import a load of music, and rate is as I go along and delete what I don't want...but can't do it with songbird as I am unable to rate the songs....that being said, maybe songbird does have this capability and I'm just using it incorrectly?

So...can anyone recommend a program which loosely fits the following criteria?

1. Can rate music on the device.

2. Has an equivalent program which I can use on a windows PC so I can arrange files, delete stuff, create playlists and of this point, most importantly allows me to export directly to the micro SD in the phone if it's docked to the PC etc.
3. Allows you to play music from a micro SD card rather than the phones paltry hd.

4. Isn't very draconian, Probably with no "connection" I'm very good with my music I buy virtually all of it but I can't guarantee there aren't one or two files....

I know normally it's a knee jerk reaction for people to post on forums but truthfully I have taken some time looking and am yet to find something viable without the risk of buying something and finding out it's not suitable.

I hope you guys can help.

Thanks a lot.

Check out DoubleTwist. Meets at least requirements 1-3, but I'm not sure about 4 since I'm not sure I understood that requirement :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones