• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Novel of All Time?

True. Enjoyable and technically well written are not necessarily the same thing. ( but can be)

I agree. One book that is both enjoyable and technically well written is Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children.

I read it because it was supposed to be good (Booker Prize winner) but what I didn't expect was for it to be enjoyable. Well it was great! I would never have guessed it was going to be so good a read. You've got kids born with superpowers! Like X-men in Bombay! (not quite... it is a literary novel, not an action adventure) Entertaining and well written, it also deals with real historical events and issues arising from the birth of India and Pakistan as nations. It's not called the "Booker of Bookers" for nothing. Brilliant. Magic realism at its best.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
I agree. One book that is both enjoyable and technically well written is Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children.

I read it because it was supposed to be good (Booker Prize winner) but what I didn't expect was for it to be enjoyable. Well it was great! I would never have guessed it was going to be so good a read. You've got kids born with superpowers! Like X-men in Bombay! (not quite... it is a literary novel, not an action adventure) Entertaining and well written, it also deals with real historical events and issues arising from the birth of India and Pakistan as nations. It's not called the "Booker of Bookers" for nothing. Brilliant. Magic realism at its best.

That sounds really cool. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Upvote 0
Books that left a deep impression upon me as a teenager:

1) Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
2) The Scarlet Letter
3) The Machine of Death
4) The 5 People You Meet in Heaven

Definitely! Anything that impressed me at a younger age, teens or college (not that long ago), is still awesome to me.

#1: The Scarlet Letter

The imagery and the passion behind the words.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones