Best option next to BBM now that I dont have a BB?General

Last Updated:

1. Blacryan

Blacryan Member This Topic's Starter

So my GF has a BB Storm 2, and I just upgraded from my storm1 to a incredible on the 29th.

Basically I loved BBM and it was the main thing keeping me with BB's. What can we use that can tell if something is delivered, read and if somebody is typing or what not. Any downloadable chat programs? Such as Google talk/IM or anything like that? The best part about BBM though was having no limit on the amount of TXT sent.

Suggestions? She will be getting a incredible as soon as she has an upgrade available.

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Google talk is pretty great. The Android equivalent of bbm.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I came from BB and BBM was great. I've used google talk, but felt better about just sending texts so up'd my txt plan when I went with Android. Google talk is fine though. Or any IM app that both phones can utilize.

4. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

gtalk

or if you need more than 1 im program, ebuddy or meebo

5. Hockey152

Hockey152 Well-Known Member

yeah ive been using google talk too, came from a bb and my gf is currently still using her storm 2.

6. mas90guru

mas90guru Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Google Voice integrates perfectly with Android. You'll need a GV account but once you do you'll have unlimited texting at no added charge provided you text from the GV application on your Android phone.

7. Todd M

Todd M Well-Known Member

Hey howarmat! Good to see you over here from CB and AC!

I use GTalk, but I don't like the fact that when a convo is open it won't notify you that you have a new message/convo if you don't stare at the phone. You have to back out of the program to get audibly notified. I made a thread about it HERE whereas it sounds like that's the way it is. I am not sure if other IMs are similar, but that has been frustrating me since moving from the Storm to this. I wouldn't think I'd have to back out of a conversation/program completely to be notified that I am still in the conversation/program...

8. dscherck

dscherck New Member

Wait, how do you text from Google Voice?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. czm2000

czm2000 Well-Known Member

I came from BB a whileback and I use GTalk now. I like that it doesn't alert every single time. That can be very annoying. While your in a conversation you just go back and forth. Wuen you think your done just press End Chat. If the other party starts IM'ing again, it will alert you.

Personally I think it functions very well. But I also realize everyone has different needs.

10. jetsfan2010

jetsfan2010 Member

I am a former bbm user as well and have never used Google talk. My 77 contacts don't all use Google

11. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

GTalk is nice, but it really only helps when the user on the other end has gtalk installed on their phone and/or a gmail account. I have just reverted to using SMS to deal with my loss of BBM. I have the unlimited texting from VZW so i dont really need to worry about overages. Also using Handcent really helps make SMS feel better with the notifications and quick reply function.

It would be nice though if more users developed Gtalk as a norm for mobile to mobile communications since its free and platform independent

12. winespectator

winespectator Member

As an ex bb and excessive bbm user i feel your pain. I down loaded the AIM app. It uses AIM and integrates facebook chat on it. That with gmail chat you should get most people. You can even run yahoo messenger and still not have to do a battery pull daily. One loss to a hundred gains. Welcome to droid.

13. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

honestly i have never used the native gtalk app so i dont know about the notifications with it.

With the other 2 programs i mentioned they notify you when you get messages just like anything else like emails/twitter/etc

Im still trying to get some balance with battery life on the damn thing though and right now i disabled meebo as it was at the top of list as expected.

Push is killing this phone. With BB, IM clients (gtalk, aim, beejive, IM+ MSN etc) would go dormant and wait for a push signal and way back up, so you can be logged in but they wouldnt use the battery at all. android lacks those features and so they eat battery for lunch and dinner both.