• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best option next to BBM now that I dont have a BB?

Blacryan

Lurker
May 1, 2010
So my GF has a BB Storm 2, and I just upgraded from my storm1 to a incredible on the 29th.

Basically I loved BBM and it was the main thing keeping me with BB's. What can we use that can tell if something is delivered, read and if somebody is typing or what not. Any downloadable chat programs? Such as Google talk/IM or anything like that? The best part about BBM though was having no limit on the amount of TXT sent.

Suggestions? She will be getting a incredible as soon as she has an upgrade available.

gtalk

or if you need more than 1 im program, ebuddy or meebo

Hey howarmat! Good to see you over here from CB and AC!

I use GTalk, but I don't like the fact that when a convo is open it won't notify you that you have a new message/convo if you don't stare at the phone. You have to back out of the program to get audibly notified. I made a thread about it HERE whereas it sounds like that's the way it is. I am not sure if other IMs are similar, but that has been frustrating me since moving from the Storm to this. I wouldn't think I'd have to back out of a conversation/program completely to be notified that I am still in the conversation/program...

Upvote 0
I came from BB a whileback and I use GTalk now. I like that it doesn't alert every single time. That can be very annoying. While your in a conversation you just go back and forth. Wuen you think your done just press End Chat. If the other party starts IM'ing again, it will alert you.

Personally I think it functions very well. But I also realize everyone has different needs.

Upvote 0
GTalk is nice, but it really only helps when the user on the other end has gtalk installed on their phone and/or a gmail account. I have just reverted to using SMS to deal with my loss of BBM. I have the unlimited texting from VZW so i dont really need to worry about overages. Also using Handcent really helps make SMS feel better with the notifications and quick reply function.

It would be nice though if more users developed Gtalk as a norm for mobile to mobile communications since its free and platform independent

Upvote 0
Hey howarmat! Good to see you over here from CB and AC!

I use GTalk, but I don't like the fact that when a convo is open it won't notify you that you have a new message/convo if you don't stare at the phone. You have to back out of the program to get audibly notified. I made a thread about it HERE whereas it sounds like that's the way it is. I am not sure if other IMs are similar, but that has been frustrating me since moving from the Storm to this. I wouldn't think I'd have to back out of a conversation/program completely to be notified that I am still in the conversation/program...
honestly i have never used the native gtalk app so i dont know about the notifications with it.

With the other 2 programs i mentioned they notify you when you get messages just like anything else like emails/twitter/etc

Im still trying to get some balance with battery life on the damn thing though and right now i disabled meebo as it was at the top of list as expected.

Push is killing this phone. With BB, IM clients (gtalk, aim, beejive, IM+ MSN etc) would go dormant and wait for a push signal and way back up, so you can be logged in but they wouldnt use the battery at all. android lacks those features and so they eat battery for lunch and dinner both.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones