Best PDF reader?

1. Troglodad

Troglodad Well-Known Member

Trying to decide on the best PDF reader for Android...

I have considered Documents to Go, but it's so huge, and does so much more than just read PDFs. Also, you can't try out the PDF reader before you buy.

I just want to read ebooks- my old Palm Tungsten E2 still works great, but I can' be carrying two handhelds around all the time...

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I'm using the free version of Lumasee (Cyrket), which is quite all right really. It's 1.6 megs.
  3. samlin

samlin New Member

4. tobassam

tobassam New Member

I checked Beamreader, Repligo, Adobe, PDF Viewer, VuDroid, Docs2Go, Office Suite Pro, and EZPDF.

For scanned PDFs I use Acrobat for its speed, and for others I use EZPDF as nothing beats its functionality and feature set.
  5. SteveJones

SteveJones Well-Known Member

Only used Repligo so far, but can definitely recommend.

Quick and accurate.
  6. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

7. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The new version of Aldiko eBook reader reads ePub and PDF.

The best PDF reader is RepliGo.

Harry
    youlonusa and Hipster90 like this.
  8. Smabbage

Smabbage Well-Known Member

+1 for ezPDF reader.
  9. stbrenner

stbrenner Member

ezPDF ftw. :D
  10. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Just updated RepliGo Reader to version 3.0

New features:
    Select words/text to mark it.
    The selected text can copied, highlighted, underlined, crossed out, searched or stucked with a sticky note :)

EDIT: All the features the Adobe Reader should have :D

Harry
  11. yeahrightasif

yeahrightasif Active Member

Yep best PDF viewer, if only because it can reflow text. Finally i have readable pdf's on my android!!
  12. beTouched

beTouched New Member

Am having 4 of them on my Android: Adobe Reader, MobilePDFViewer, PDFtoGo, PDFviewer(os) and none of them really 'succeeds' in reflowing a standard pdf. People allover are saving word-etc-files with a pdf-printclient. Standardly a pdf-printclient doesn't save files as pdf/A-1a or tagged pdf. Increadible that Adobe didn't think of the small devices of today. Or Adobe thought of it, too late, but makes transcoding extremely difficult if not in possession of certain Adobe editors. A solution could be to extract the text of a standard non-A-1a-pdf. But eventhen, this doesn't always work with some types of built-in glyph fonts. Really, pdf was meant to be extremely readable! Pdf has the advantage of text and graphics in 1 file, but today, pdf suffers. Or what to think of the fact that Adobe's own Android app doesn't satisfy fully?
    (simple) HTML (alla Tim Berners-Lee - with possibly some non-extensive css) reads best on most phones and smart phones of whatever kind. It has the disadvantage of depending on external, not internal, imgs (img files). Helas.
    Another solution to the reflow problem could be to scale all text and images in files in percentages. Percentages which adapt to any screen. With the possibility of quickly enlarging/zooming images on small screens. Percentages, think of them!
  13. czervik

czervik Member

Does RepliGo (or any others) let you jump to a specific page? Also, does it remember where you last were on each pdf?
  14. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

RepliGo: Yes and yes :)

Harry
  15. superglider

superglider Member

Only ezPDF reader!
    It really rocks!
    Worth to pay for it. Probably my best spent money on Android Market.

Mateusz
  16. According to my views, Adobe PDF reader app is one of the best PDF ebook reader app for Android. However, you may checkout the review of top 3 best PDF reader app for Android.
  17. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The OP wanted the best reader to read PDF eBooks.

I think, I found such an eBook reader now :)

Mantano Reader, reads PDF and ePub.

Harry
  18. PDF_Susan

PDF_Susan Member

For PDF reading only, get free qPDF Viewer.
    For markup, try qPDF Notes by Qoppa Software. Open any PDF, add text notes, highlights and free-form drawings, as well as fill interactive PDF forms. qPDF Notes accesses, saves, and sends PDFs via email, Dropbox, Bluetooth or SD cards.
  19. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

EZPDF Reader is on sale for $.10 today in the market.
  20. mike27182

mike27182 New Member

I'd like to read large (around 10 MB) PDF files (on Archos 7 V2) containing simple graphics. So far I have tried
    1. BeamReader - it took like 2 min(!) to open the file, then the speed was good
    2. Adobe Reader - fast, no extra features, often crashes
    3. MobilePDFViewer - simple reader, but it takes 5s to switch a page
    4. APV PDF Viewer - pretty fast, many options and useful features (color inversion, vertical scroll lock..), didn't crash while being tested

However none of the above listed apps wasn't able to open this PDF found if you Google for "ESLII_print5.pdf" and chose the first link (Stanford university)
    Do you know any reader capable of reading this file?
  21. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

ESLII_print5.pdf has 12.33MB and I can read it without problems with
    RepliGo Reader
    Mantano Reader
    ezPDF Reader
    DocsToGo
    and Adobe Reader.

So I think it might be your hardware as the reason that you can't open this PDF.

Harry
    mike27182 likes this.
  22. mike27182

mike27182 New Member

It seems there is such a problem. I'll change FW version and will see if it helps.

BTW by the Gobooks is meant GO Book, right?